Knit Flix

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Friends and fiber at TKGA

Spinnity and I went to the Knit and Crochet Marketplace yesterday and had a great time.

We spent 3 hours perusing every booth, saying hello to friends and admiring fiber. It was nice to see Darlene from Hand Jive Knits, Takako from Habu Textiles, and all the women at Full Thread Ahead. Vickie Howell from Knitty Gritty was in the Full Thread Ahead booth signing her book New Knits on the Block and Hollis had some of the knit models from the book on display. Pretty cool.

Then we met up with Rebecca before her afternoon classes, had lunch, and went back for one last look.

Did I mention that I made a few purchases? Just a few...


Here's the one thing that I knew I needed to get at the show, linen from Habu Textiles. I bought one hank at Stitches West and discovered it wasn't enough for the sweater I'd like to knit, so I bought 2 more hanks yesterday.

An unexpected find was this Tencel/Merino lace weight yarn from Yarn Place.

Unexpected because Yarn Place is located nearby in Sunnyvale, CA and I had never heard of it. Secondly, the hank of 3000+ yds was only $30. But what drew me to the yarn was the beautiful color, the copper highlights, and the wonderful sheen.

I have an idea of what I'd like to make, but the first challenge will be to wind it into a ball without creating a tangled mess.

And what visit to the marketplace would be complete without a little sock yarn in my shopping bag?

This is Sock! Merino from Lisa Souza Knitwear and Dyeworks and the colorway is called Petroglyph.


And these 4 hanks of Dye-o-rama-ready yarn are Tiny Toes from Interlacements. 2 hanks for my swap buddy, and 2 for me. It was Spinnity who pointed out that I couldn't buy just 2. After all, this will be my first dyeing experience--how am I going to feel if I have to give it all away? She's always thinking.

All in all, it was a very enjoyable day.

6 Comments:

  • Score! You had a great shopping day there. I especially like the sock yarn and the lace - beautiful.

    re: the dye your own - Hang on to a friend who gives you such good advice!

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 4/23/2006 3:24 PM  

  • Sounds like Mary is just as much of a yarn purchase enabler as Cookie is. ;)

    I can't wait to see what you do with your yarn dyeing.

    By Blogger Abigail, at 4/23/2006 10:19 PM  

  • Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving the link for toe-up socks with heel flap and gussets. I've added it to my favs file. Will be sure to give it a whirl!

    By Blogger Jenny Raye, at 4/25/2006 8:31 PM  

  • What sensible purchases, lovingly presented. Mine are kind of in a heap. I love my Lisa Souza yarn, though and I haven't been able to put my Nash Farms cashmere away. Had a great time Saturday!

    By Blogger spinnity, at 4/26/2006 1:10 AM  

  • I was feeling proud for hitting Maker Faire rather than TKGA, because of course I still haven't knit all my Stitches Yarn from 2 years ago! But then I see that Lisa Souza yarn. And then I see the interlacements for dye-o-rama. And then, darnit, I wish I had gone. So I don't know whether to darn you or thank you for convincing me to go next time.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/27/2006 11:00 PM  

  • It was nice to see your socks in person -- lovely! I got mostly sock yarn at TKGA -- call it my new sub-addiction.

    By Blogger Wiz Knitter, at 4/28/2006 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home