Knit Flix

Saturday, March 18, 2006

2006-06: Pomatomus socks


Pattern: Pomatomus by Cookie A.
Yarn: Elann's Sock It To Me Colori in Seadrifter, 85gm
Needle: 2.5mm Addi Turbo 32" circular, tubular cast on, magic loop

What a quick knit! Well, quick after finally deciding on the right yarn.

When I first saw these socks I thought it'd be neat to have them mirror images of each other. But research on the web uncovered an issue... you'd have to have the ktbl stitches twist the other way for the "scales" to have the same dimensional impact. Not wanting to make things too difficult for myself, I bagged that idea.

I had also considered knitting these 2 at a time, but the pattern requires you to move stitches from one needle to another and that can be a hassle when the socks are side by side on a needle. Instead, I decided to knit one at a time using the magic loop method.

With that, I didn't modify the pattern, but I did redistribute the stitches a bit to make things easier for me.

I'm not good with yo's at the beginning of a needle so I rearranged the stitches to have the last st of the previous round as the first st of the round. That meant for rounds 1-11, each half-round started with ktbl, yo.

After completing round 22 of Chart A, I rearranged the stitches in order to begin round 1 with the ktbl of the previous round. Wow, that must sound really confusing. Like most sock knitting, it's "huh?" when you read it, but it works when you do it.

For Chart B, I put the instep stitches on one side of the circular and the sole stitches on the other. When there was a yo at the beginning of the instep, I opted to not do the yo on that round and instead picked up the loop on the next round. It helped keep those yo's from getting too large.

The last little trick was to knit the toe decreases until there were 20 sts total, use Rebecca's method of avoiding dog ears, then graft the remaining 16sts.

Thanks for the pattern Cookie!

Related posts:
Pomatomus challenge: Knit them in Koigu?
Plan B: Picking a different yarn
Plan D: Picking yet a different yarn
Choices: What was behind my yarn choice

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

  • OOoooo ... They look so pretty!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/18/2006 8:41 AM  

  • They're beautiful. Oh, if I only had more time to knit for myself. I have some Tess' sock yarn that this would look great in.

    By Blogger HoJo, at 3/18/2006 9:55 AM  

  • Yay! The yarn and pattern go really well together. For yarnovers at the beginning of a row, I usually don't do them and then pick them up the next row. I guess I could have put that in the pattern, but I thought that would be confusing. I also don't normally follow needle directions (put x stitches on needle 1, etc.), but for this pattern it did help me keep track of where the repeats were, especially with the rearranging of stitches, so I put that in. Glad you figured it out with the magic loop.

    I've been thinking about the mirror imaging. What if one of them was knit from the toe up? But it would be a pain to deal with the heel and gusset...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/18/2006 10:41 AM  

  • excellent job! This is one of my favorite patterns ever - so fun. Your yarn choice is perfect for this project!

    By Blogger Sophie_vf, at 3/18/2006 12:34 PM  

  • Oooooh! Gorgeous.

    Love the towel backdrop, too. Why didn't I think of that? White towels are cheap enough to just keep one for yarn shots :)

    By Blogger Freecia, at 3/18/2006 1:02 PM  

  • Oh they are great - I tired then with some dark Trekking - didn't like them - couldn't see the pattern well enough so frogged. I'll try again one day!

    By Blogger JulieLoves2Knit, at 3/18/2006 4:12 PM  

  • They are GORGEOUS!! I love the colors I have mine on the needles now.. having issues with the chart B rows 5 and up! YIKES! Has been a quick knit your right!

    By Blogger soapy, at 3/18/2006 7:39 PM  

  • They look great!

    By Blogger Abigail, at 3/18/2006 8:34 PM  

  • I love them! I love the pattern, but yours is a great yarn choice too.

    By Blogger aija, at 3/18/2006 9:20 PM  

  • Beautiful socks! They look really nice in that colorway. Great job--I so am making these.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/19/2006 4:39 PM  

  • I just love these socks. Great job!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/19/2006 9:45 PM  

  • They look fabulous. They are definitely on list of wanna dos.

    By Blogger Knittinreed, at 3/20/2006 7:05 PM  

  • Beautiful socks! I'm putting this pattern on my to do list! I like your yarn choice too - very nice.

    By Blogger Jeanne, at 3/21/2006 4:26 AM  

  • Wow these are the prettiest knitted socks I've ever seen. Great job!!!!

    By Blogger PippaW, at 3/23/2006 8:19 AM  

  • I really like how those turned out. You're so right about sock patterns -- I can never get my brain around them on the page, much easier to dive in and see what happens.

    By Blogger Wiz Knitter, at 3/23/2006 12:14 PM  

  • You have knit some beautiful items.

    Thanks for the link on avoiding dog ears.

    By Blogger Kimberly, at 4/08/2006 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home