Knit Flix

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Fair Isle sock progress

The near-frogged Fair Isle socks have been saved.


Cookie asked,
Ok, I know you like toe up. What heel do you prefer? And how do you know when to start the heel?

In general I prefer the look of a gusset+flap heel, but it depends on the sock. This one got a gusset and flap which I borrowed from Judy Gibson's You're Putting Me On sock pattern. The generic pattern which has a cool table that tells you approximately where to start the heel.

My foot is about 8 inches around and 10 inches long. According to the table I need to start the gusset increases 3-1/2 inches before the end of the heel or when the foot is 6-1/2 inches long. That's what I did for this sock and it fits perfectly.

For a short row heel, I'll start it when the sock reaches my ankle bone.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home