Knit Flix

Monday, April 10, 2006

FI socks

When I made the Mosaic socks,
FO 2005-24 Mosaic Socks
I had planned to use the leftover yarn to make the Fair Isle socks shown on the cover of Sensational Knitted Socks.



True to form, I'm knitting them toe-up and started them with a round toe.

L: sole; R: instep

I've got to say, these socks were within seconds of being ripped out yesterday. I was getting frustrated with my Continental knitting technique, or lack thereof. Tensioning the yarn is a challenge with my left hand, especially with sock yarn. Plus, I felt like these socks were standing in the way of me using my STR yarn. Silly, I know, but that was the mood I was in.

The (seemingly) last straw was when I saw this.

Take a close look at the stitch pattern vs. the cover shot. They're not the same. The book says the socks are knit with pattern 9, but they're really knit with pattern 5. The inverse of pattern 5. Thanks to Spinnity for figuring that out. Not that I don't like the pattern that I'm doing, it's just that I was not in the mood for a pattern error.

Happily, Jeni, Bri, & Spinnity provided support and encouragement at SnB. I went home, finished a few more rows and decided the socks could live.

The pattern error isn't in the errata for Sensational Knitted Socks, so I let Charlene know and she said she'd contact the publisher.

I feel much better now.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

  • How do you do a round toe? An increase adjustment, I guess. do you start with a figure 8 cast on? I'm a recent toe-up convert.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4/10/2006 7:07 PM  

  • Gorgeous colors, these will look great if they survive! Good luck with the tension

    By Blogger spinnity, at 4/10/2006 7:12 PM  

  • Oh yay! They get a reprieve for now. I just love the colors and really didn't want to see them ripped out. I thought about offering to knit them for you - just so they could live. Almost.

    I love how one can email an author of a knitting pattern, or book even, and get a personal response and sometimes help with a particular issue with a pattern. The internets impress me more and more each day.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/10/2006 7:35 PM  

  • Isn't it nice that you can actually get a response from an author? I guess that makes up for the aggravation - just a bit!

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 4/10/2006 8:44 PM  

  • the mosiac socks are gorgeous! Where did you get that pattern? I think I need a pair of those for me (I mean the store ;}). I hope you secret project is coming along ok as well.

    By Blogger HoJo, at 4/10/2006 9:52 PM  

  • I like your socks WAY more than the ones on the cover of the book. Keep knitting!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/11/2006 7:12 AM  

  • whoa, the mosaic socks are gorgeous!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/11/2006 10:18 AM  

  • I just bought this book. I can't wait to knit my first pair of Cherry Tree Hill socks. I think I will start with something a LEETLE simpler, though...

    By Blogger Wiz Knitter, at 4/12/2006 5:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home