Knit Flix

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Lightning fast DMV

I've got personalized plates on my car. Correction, I had personalized plates on my car.


Let's go back to the other day when I unexpectedly received a set of license plates from the DMV with a letter.
We have had no response from our letter of regarding the surrender of your personalized license plates.

Enclosed are the valid license plates for your vehicle. The license plates "LUVBOMB" are no longer valid and this is so reflected on DMV records.

The California Code of Regulations states, in part, 'The department shall refuse any configuration that may carry connotations offensive to good taste and decency'. [blah blah blah]

Whoa. Hold your horses. I haven't responded to WHAT letter?

I called the DMV to find out what the heck they were talking about and found out that they sent me a letter in 1999. Seven years ago. Spee-dee.

Here's my recollection. In 1999 I applied for personalized plates and received a letter in the mail denying my application due to the same CA code. So I called the DMV and a nice woman told me if I wrote a letter explaining the meaning of the plate, my request would probably be granted. However, if anyone complained about my license plate, they could revoke it at any time.

Fine. Wrote the letter. Got the plates. Been driving around with them ever since. Paid the $30 premium every year to keep the plates. Paid another $30 to transfer them from one car to another.

But according to them, they sent me a letter in 1999 saying my plates were not allowed and they also sent me a refund check for $41. Huh. Never saw the letter or the check. And why would they go through the trouble of issuing plates just to deny them?

Long story short, they're running a crack operation at the DMV and now I've got boring, albeit cheaper, plates on my car. Bah.

What's that? Oh yeah. Here's what the plate refers to.

9 Comments:

  • Okay, that sounds annoying, but also funny. Sheesh.

    By Blogger Abigail, at 5/03/2006 9:13 PM  

  • Amazing, don't they have better things to do? How's your entry coming along? Only 3 more weeks before the contest ends, I want to make sure you get it in on time. Oh, and btw, it appears all the silk is like that, it bleeds color like crazy.

    By Blogger HoJo, at 5/04/2006 7:46 AM  

  • Oh geez, that just kills me. What a buncha brain trusts there.

    By Blogger Ilona, at 5/04/2006 9:31 AM  

  • Good grief, and they don't have more important things to worry about over there at the DMV???

    At least you escaped them for a whole freakin' 7 years! Woot!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/04/2006 1:10 PM  

  • It's the bomb part. Someone probably saw your plates and called it into the DMV upset because they thought you are love terrorism, or something weird like that.

    By Blogger Susan (ZenKnit), at 5/05/2006 11:53 PM  

  • Hi Susan,
    Actually, the action was not the result of any complaint. I asked. That would have been understandable. Nope, they were following up on that mysterious 7-year-old letter.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 5/06/2006 6:21 AM  

  • I think you should fight city hall! If they can't mail a second letter within 7 years, you ought to get to keep the plates! Yes, I know, they cost money. But they are a tribute to something you care about and dammit, they approved 'em. GRR!

    By Blogger spinnity, at 5/11/2006 3:50 PM  

  • I know I'm late... (faster than the DMV though), but just had to say, "Yay!- Tubes!"

    By Blogger Cindy/Snid, at 5/23/2006 4:11 PM  

  • I second that, "Yay! Tubes!"

    By Blogger Bogie, at 5/24/2006 3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home