Knit Flix

Saturday, August 05, 2006

A large swatch

I've been so busy at work, I haven't had the time (or the energy) to blog about my new purchase a Silver Reed LK-150 Knitting Machine [scroll to the bottom of that page for more info].

I purchased it from Nancy Roberts of Machine Knitting to Dye For. As luck would have it, she taught a class at Commuknity last Sunday so I picked it up from her there.


I took it home and played around with it a bit and was amazed at how effortless knitting with it was compared to my old machine, a Bond ISM. This machine has an auto-tension which means you don't have to fiddle with the yarn every row. That's a huge win. Plus there are other features that allow the carriage to do things I used to have to do manually with the ISM. There are plenty of fancier machines out there with a lot more bells and whistles, but this is a step up for me.

There hasn't been much real knitting with it yet, just some swatches as I watched the video.

Here's the largest swatch so far:

It's 8/2 Tencel from Webs. I was going to gather it underneath the cover so it looked like a slipcover, but I kind of like it draped. For now.

I don't know what my next project will be. Maybe an EZ Baby Surprise Jacket for a woman at work who's expecting... but do I have a suitable yarn? Maybe I need to go shopping.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • That is a large swatch!

    Are you going to knit the jacket on the machine?

    By Blogger Abigail, at 8/05/2006 11:10 PM  

  • Yes! That site has a pattern adapted for knitting machines. Pretty neat, eh?

    By Blogger Bogie, at 8/06/2006 9:38 AM  

  • I've been wanting to knit the drop stitch tee by Jan from Knitting Arts. I can't remember how she did the bottom edge, though, so I haven't started. But I think it will be great fun!

    Congrats on the upgrade. I can't believe how hard you were working before with that Bond.

    By Blogger spinnity, at 8/07/2006 9:38 PM  

  • Nice! Can't wait to see what you pump out with that machine! I'm still saving money for one. Looks like it'll be a winter pleasure.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/10/2006 10:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home