Knit Flix

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Mojo, or lack thereof

Yin/yang

Balance

First, the good stuff. Yesterday was full of good stuff.

The South Bay knitters anxiously waited for Yarn Harlot to arrive at Full Thread Ahead.

Bri, Jeni, Seltsame, & Spinnity


Bri, Jeni, Seltsame, Emy, Abigail, and Stefan

And not pictured ('cause I'm a baaaad blogger) were Kristi, Cookie (who baked a batch of awesome molasses/spice cookies to share--Hey Cookie, I NEED that recipe!), Nathania, CJ, no-blog-Rachael, Margit, and approximately 300 other knitters.

It was wonderful having the gang-o'-knitters together again. Thank you everyone, it was great spending the afternoon and evening with you.

Stephanie arrived and soon I was laughing to the point of tears. The stories are funny on their own, (if you're familiar with Yarn Harlot, I'm not telling you anything you don't already know) but the delivery--goodness, together they were unbeatable. The talk was over too soon, but then came more good stuff. The book signing.

So we stood in line and crept along for about 30 minutes and then suddenly it was my turn. Oh crap. What was I going to say? Thankfully, while we were waiting Spinnity had me read Yarn Harlot's definition of entrelac in her 3rd book, Knitting Rules.
Anyone who can knit a pair of socks using this technique without resorting to curse words, stomping, or flailing about should (in this humble knitter's opinion) be immediately sent to the United Nations, where her gift can serve the world.


I was already familiar with Stephanie's opinion about entrelac from her second book, but this was perfect. I showed Stephanie the entrelac sock and said something about the UN, she replied with something about NASA, and then we laughed. I told her this was my 4th pair and she said that perhaps the affinity for entrelac that she was missing was residing in me. Wow. Do I have Stephanie's entrelac mojo?!

I handed her a bag of Peets chocolate covered espresso beans (no liquid required, the perfect pick-me-up for the airplane) and a T-shirt. With that, my visit with Stephanie was over.


It was a thoroughly enjoyable evening spent with good friends.

Today is a different day.

I've got a headache and am a little sniffly. No biggie, I should have worn a jacket last night when it cooled off. I'll be fine.

It gets worse.

I planned on having a photo of a finished entrelac sock for today's post. With only the afterthought heel and toe to go, completion is entirely within my grasp.


Except for one thing.

I don't have enough yarn for 2 socks.

Even if I knit the heel & toe with a different yarn, I don't have enough yarn for 2 socks.

The STR hank was 122gms. The sock without the heel & toe used 66gms. I don't have enough yarn for 2 socks.

So maybe I rip back and do one less repeat before the heel. Yeah, that's it.

Except for the fact that the sock is too big. Yesterday, Abigail very politely didn't point it out, but alluded to it. I think what happened was, I was intent on having the colors in each rectangle would look the same (stickler!) so I ended up knitting a bit looser than my normal tension. Mind you, not insanely loose, but just a tad looser. That and I didn't check to see how much yarn was required. I still haven't done that.

So forget about the UN or NASA and forget about this sock.

Hey Stephanie, thanks so much visiting, I had a great time. And I think you've got your mojo back.

Labels: , , , ,

16 Comments:

  • I didn't mean to imply that you were doing something wrong, it just looked big to me!

    No UN or NASA, does that mean there was stomping and cursing and flailing when you realized you were short of yarn? ;)

    By Blogger Abigail, at 9/10/2006 8:28 PM  

  • Did I show you the second sock of the pair I'm working on? That purple Trekking one (I knit on it a little bit yesterday)? My gauge changed a ton at some point, and I've got the same 55 rows after the gusset decreases, but this one is past my toes. Keep in mind that the 55 rows should be BEFORE starting toe shaping. Dammit.

    By Blogger Emy, at 9/10/2006 8:31 PM  

  • Hi J -- So relieved to read that Saturday went so very well. Sorry about the sock. I'm sure you'll come up with a solution soon. -- Becky

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/10/2006 9:28 PM  

  • Is it at all possible that the sock would shrink in the wash and dry?

    I gushed like a total moron when I met Stephanie. Star. Struck. Nervous laughter and everything. Luckily, she is really nice and just took it in stride. Ah. My life is so glamourous.

    By Blogger Freecia, at 9/10/2006 9:37 PM  

  • What a great visit! I'm so jealous that you got to meet the Harlot - I'm starting to think she'll never make it down here to Florida.

    By Blogger m., at 9/11/2006 5:27 AM  

  • I am totally impressed by your mad entrelac skillz. And I'm really jealous you got to meet Stephanie. Sigh... we'll get her to the southeast one of these days!

    By Blogger Bliss, at 9/11/2006 6:29 AM  

  • OoOo, you wore Juliet. Very very nice. And speaking of nice, wasn't it so very special to give your mojo to Stephanie. Whadda gal!

    By Blogger Dusa, at 9/11/2006 7:29 AM  

  • It was great seeing you! I wish I could have spent more time talking with you, but there were so many knitters everywhere I felt somewhat lost in the crowd.

    For the sock, you only seem a little bit short. Do you think and slightly longer toe might work? Hrm, maybe that would look bad. And I'm not sure how the entrelac repeats work out with the toe.

    Oh, and here is the recipe for the cookies. I substituted butter for shortening.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/11/2006 9:28 AM  

  • Mmmmm. Butter. That explains why the K&C cookies were so yummy. It was lovely to share Harlot Day with you on Saturday.

    As for the socks.. I will report only that I had to go down another needle size when I knit my second pair of ASA socks to avoid the baggy ankles.. mostly. I almost wish I'd tried it with 11 stitches per box instead of 12. I know it's 3 whole days of knitting.. but if you do give this yarn another chance in this pattern, I'm wondering if smaller boxes would do the trick.

    Can mojo take a vacation?

    By Blogger spinnity, at 9/11/2006 4:46 PM  

  • It was a great day, wasn't it? Sorry to hear about the sock and (as if I haven't told you a million times already) your Juliet sweater is truly fabulous.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/11/2006 9:42 PM  

  • Your sock looks great, if kind of long. I guess I like shorter socks to begin with. I'm sorry to hear you might have to rip it back. Entrelac. Entrelac. Holy @#$*).

    By Blogger moirae, at 9/12/2006 12:27 AM  

  • Wow. Harlot groupies. Love those socks!

    By Blogger Sonja, at 9/12/2006 3:28 AM  

  • It was great meeting and knitting with you, Janice! And thanks for introducing me around. Damn about the sock. If it makes you feel any better, the socks I was knitting on Saturday for my husband? It's my freakin' THIRD time knitting them from the beginning. Even though I got gauge, they turned out too big. Twice. Then I figured out that the pattern measured the total circumference of the foot and didn't plan for negative ease (*gah!*). So here I am on round 3. At least it's fewer stitches.

    Anyway - congrats again on that gorgeous sweater of yours. Hope I run into you again sometime!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/12/2006 7:22 PM  

  • Getting to see Stephanie was a blast, and it was also fun to get to meet all these people I've been reading for so long (like you!). Your Juliet sweater is even prettier in person.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/13/2006 10:50 AM  

  • You have mixed with knitting royalty, wow!!

    By Blogger Sharon, at 9/13/2006 4:27 PM  

  • Maybe you can convert the sock to an armwarmer/fingerless mitten type thing. It sure is good looking and would be easier to admire on your arm rather than your foot :)

    By Blogger karrie, at 9/15/2006 4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home