Knit Flix

Saturday, August 26, 2006

2006-14: Juliet Pullover


Pattern: Robin Melanson's Juliet Pullover from IK Summer 2004
Yarn: 12-1/4oz. 20/2 linen from Habu Textiles, double stranded
Beads: approx 45gm silver lined 8/0 hex from Bead Asylum
Needles: Inox Grey 3.25mm circular
Approx 2-1/2yds velvet ribbon

It's done enough to be called an FO. There was a ribbon snafu at the fabric store so some of it needs to be redone, but that can wait. I'm tired of the ribbon thing.

The second sleeve came together fairly quickly because I just followed my notes for the first sleeve. While the sleeve blocked, I picked up the 160sts(!) for the neckline and finished it.

Next came the sleeve seams and setting them into the sweater. Each sleeve seam took about an hour because I wanted the bead rows and the eyelet and garter rows to match across the seam. I had to back up and re-sew a few times, but I got it.

Setting in the first sleeve usually goes pretty fast. It's the second one that takes twice as long because I try and match what I did with the first one. So on this sweater, I tried something new--setting in both sleeves at the same time.

Matching as I went didn't work as planned because I didn't realize I'd be working them in opposite directions--the front first on one, the back first on the other--until I got started. But I still think it was a bit faster than doing them one at a time and like knitting 2 socks at a time, when I was done, I WAS DONE.

Wow. Look at that. Now where am I going to wear such a fancy thing?

Related posts:
Yarn purchase at Stitches West
Friends and fiber at TKGA
Swatching Juliet
Half back
Juliet Pullover back - check!
We have yardage
I'll know soon
Does it fit?

Labels: , , , ,

21 Comments:

  • *low whistle*

    Dayyyum, that looks perfect! After all that worrying, and look - it's amazing! Congratulations!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/26/2006 6:30 PM  

  • holy crap that is an AWESOME sweater!!

    By Blogger Fibreaddict, at 8/26/2006 6:32 PM  

  • That is a truly beautiful sweater. You did a great job. I even liked it as a sleeveless top in the previous photo

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8/26/2006 7:53 PM  

  • This sweater is absolutely beautiful and looks like a perfect fit on you!

    By Blogger knitties, at 8/27/2006 1:22 AM  

  • That sweater looks absolutely fabulous! All that time and detail really paid off. Beautiful!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/27/2006 6:14 AM  

  • Your sweater looks fabulous! Are you sure you didn't buy that somewhere? It is finished so well. The ribbon and the beads set it off so nicely. Good job! How about wearing it to a night at the symphony? Add a velvet skirt and you are set!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/27/2006 11:14 AM  

  • Great work on that sweater! I think I'd wear it to work with a nice pair of slacks. I'd hate to save it for a fancy night out, since I get so few of those.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/27/2006 9:02 PM  

  • So very pretty and in time for the cold swing we're having.

    A possible ribbon resource if you're up in the City : http://www.yelp.com/biz/1oWCVXUOxAN5-vwWYQ4AyA
    Haven't been there myself but an entire store of ribbins... That sounds decadent!

    By Blogger Freecia, at 8/28/2006 9:56 AM  

  • I meant if you were visiting San Francisco for something or wanted more ribbon. :)

    By Blogger Freecia, at 8/28/2006 9:59 AM  

  • gorgeous, congrats!

    By Blogger Bill Walker, at 8/28/2006 3:34 PM  

  • That has to be the loveliest thing you've made so far! Beautiful!

    By Blogger Jenn, at 8/29/2006 10:33 AM  

  • Those shoulders and sleeves look perfect. Excellent job!

    I can see not wanting to wear it to work. Maybe this is a good excuse to go out to a fancy dinner?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/29/2006 5:30 PM  

  • What a pretty sweater! And I love the shape on you - of course you wear all your knits so well. :-) Wonderful FO!

    By Blogger Ilona, at 8/30/2006 5:13 PM  

  • Wow. That's a project for the ages. A worthy use of Habu. I really like Robin's designs.

    By Blogger Wiz Knitter, at 8/31/2006 4:04 PM  

  • Congratulations on your finish. The beads and ribbon are wonderful and I love the shape of the sweater - it's very feminine. Wish I was skinny enough to knit one for myself LOL.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/31/2006 11:46 PM  

  • Wow, that's pretty. Great job.

    By Blogger Lanea, at 9/04/2006 7:50 AM  

  • Bee-yoo-ti-ful, as expected. Great choices of pattern, yarn & beads. Flawless execution. And, viola, a gorgeous sweater. Congrats!

    By Blogger spinnity, at 9/04/2006 12:55 PM  

  • Please wear it to the Yarn Harlot signing on Saturday, I want to ooh and aaah. it's beautiful

    By Blogger HoJo, at 9/06/2006 9:05 PM  

  • ahh, this was such a lovely piece, so demure. I really admired it that Sunday at the Harlot event. Well done!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/18/2006 9:56 AM  

  • Oh, that is such a lovely sweater. I googled to find anyone else knitting this sweater but noone had like you added the beads or dared to even start. Lovely, how many beads did it take?
    I have been on my way to knit a beaded sweater for a year now but I think yours realy got me convinced to start ASAP.
    Thankyou!

    By Blogger Mitz, at 11/09/2006 10:09 AM  

  • Thanks Mitz. I didn't bother to count the beads. They came in 30gm tubes and I used approximately 1-1/2 tubes, or 45gm.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 11/09/2006 12:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home