Knit Flix

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Coming soon: Crystalline Lattice

UPDATE: See the finished Crystalline Lattice socks here. The Crystalline Lattice sock pattern has been posted on the Crystal Palace Yarns web site.

Between work and design, the blog has been collecting dust. But with this short post, the silence is broken!

I've been working on a design for Crystal Palace Yarns in a new yarn coming in Spring 2007. It's a 46% bamboo/43% wool/11% nylon sock yarn and it's quite nice. The colorway they sent me was #442, Hydrangea.


It's a lovely yarn with a beautiful sheen from the bamboo.

Once it arrived, I swatched and tinkered and tinkered and swatched until I conjured up a stitch pattern that I was happy with. Goodness, I must have used over 30gm just on the swatch!

Here's a peek at Crystalline Lattice in Panda Wool.


The name comes from a brainstorming session with my good friend Spinnity. Her suggestions sent me on a hunt for just the right molecular structure--check out gamma SE (A8). [Java and javascript required]

I have a bit more work to do because I want to include instructions for a larger size in the pattern. Once it's finished, it will be a free pattern available on the Crystal Palace web site.

Labels: , , , ,

11 Comments:

  • That molecular structure site is much fun! cool that you could incorporate it into a sock design!

    Susan

    By Blogger Crystal Palace Yarns, at 10/24/2006 6:01 PM  

  • Wow, I love how you named it. I am so bad at naming things (reason number #10582 why I fear having children).

    Congrats again!

    Oh yeah, and random question: How are you getting the black background? Are you doing some of that nifty lightbox stuff that's been going around blogland?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/24/2006 6:26 PM  

  • Ooo! Geek socks! Neat Socks!

    Do tell how you got the nifty black photo. The white towel, I guessed. Is this black Velvet with a bright desk lamp or two?

    By Blogger Freecia, at 10/24/2006 9:15 PM  

  • Very pretty — and nice use of this colorway!

    By Blogger Valerie Polichar, at 10/25/2006 7:26 AM  

  • The sock looks lovely all finished up! That yarn is soooo soft, too!

    Congrats on another great design!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/25/2006 8:02 AM  

  • great texture! Looking forward to seeing the pattern.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/30/2006 9:06 AM  

  • Thanks everyone!

    The secret to the black background is black fabric. In fact, the fabric in these photos is actually a black coat that works well for small pieces.

    Nothing fancy like a light box or even a bright desk lamp. The sock photo was taken on the kitchen table with overhead incandescent lighting (the lamp hanging over the table). Color correction was done with Photoshop.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 10/30/2006 4:38 PM  

  • ::whimper:: When, oh WHEN, is that gorgeous pattern going to be available, Janice?? I have HAUNTED (lots of melodrama here) your blog and Straw's website, hoping it's coming soon! MUST...HAVE...PATTERN...NOW!

    By Blogger Fairy Spun Fibers, at 12/07/2006 10:26 AM  

  • The pattern is with CPY now. I believe it will be posted once the yarn is available. It'll be soon, real soon. And look for the socks at TNNA in January!

    By Blogger Bogie, at 12/07/2006 9:50 PM  

  • Hi
    I am a avid sock knitter and spindle handcrafter(Wooly Knitpicks).
    I started this gorgeous "Crystalline Lattice" sock this am. I substituted a different fiber(that I spun up) until my Crystal Palace Yarn arrives. I figured I would have the first pair done so by the time the yarn comes I would have the down pattern down pat! Well I have ripped out the first 8 rows three times. I get to row 8 and something isn't jiving.The very last 4 stitches says...knit two stitches. I assuming the other 2 stitches are carried to needle one to start the repeat all over of the 8 rows...row 1. But each time I go to do this the pattern doesn't jive. It just doesn't look like the picture.Am I doing it right? I looked for any error mistakes and found the one listed but nothing concerning my "error" Can you right me back and let me if I am doing this right or if I have misread the pattern????I'm not at the final row 8 of the cuff...I seen where that is different.
    I love your knitted patterns and would like to know if you spin? I would love to send you one of my spindles. I have handcrafted over 350 OOAK since June.Thanks for your time!!! Deb from Wooly Knitpicks http://myworld.ebay.com/woolyknitpicks/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/18/2007 12:18 PM  

  • Hi Deb,

    Well, that's not good! Write me at knitflix at gmail dot com so I can get you through it. I also sent you an email through eBay--hopefully we can connect soon!

    --Janice

    By Blogger Bogie, at 4/18/2007 3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home