Knit Flix

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Stitches West 2007 Part 2

Friday started bright and early with Cindy and me in Beth Brown-Reinsel's Twined Knitted Mittens class.
Class description: Students will learn the Swedish technique of tvåänstickning, or twined knitting, by knitting a small mitten using worsted weight yarn. The mitten is worked circularly on double pointed needles and includes many techniques: three twined knitting cast-ons, reading and working from a chart, the "O" stitch, Chain Path, Purl Deep Stitch, a spiraled thumb gusset, a traditional motif for the front of the mitten, and a choice of tip shapings at the end of the mitten. Designing will be discussed briefly as well.

I loved this class.

Twined knitting, or Two-ended Knitting is a technique that Spinnity told me about a year ago. I bought Anne-Maj Ling's book, Two-End Knitting but couldn't get my head around how to do it. It was a good thing. Although there are plenty of knitting skills that I can pick up from books and the web, this is one technique that is worth learning from a knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly instructor like Beth who clearly has a passion for teaching and the subject matter.

In 6 hours, I was able to get almost all of my mitten completed. The tip of the thumb and sewing in the ends was finished this morning.

Twined Knitted Mitten .


Twined Knitted Mitten detail .


Twined Knitted Mitten WS .


Twined Knitted Mitten WS detail .

If taking this class was the only thing I did at Stitches West this year, I'd be satisfied. That means the marketplace activities are icing on the cake. I like icing.

Somehow Jeni and I got swept up in the Sea Silk craze and 2 hanks of Mineral found their way into my shopping bag.

Hand Maiden Sea Silk .

Hollis at Full Thread Ahead had bags and bags of yarn at 50% off. Voila, 9 hanks of Lanaknits Hemp for Knitting. This has Fibonacci written all over it.

Lanaknits Hemp for Knitting .

One more visit to the Bay Area Knit Co-op resulted in a Fiber Fiend! roving purchase. Someday this will be sock yarn.

Fiber Fiend! Superwash Merino Roving .

Next up, the Fricke.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • Very cool mitten.

    I see your fiber stash is starting. ;)

    By Blogger Abigail, at 2/24/2007 12:28 PM  

  • I have no idea how I'm going to fit all the yarn I bought in my luggage to go home. And I'm thinking of going back tomorrow already. Hee! It was good seeing you today, but it was too short. *sigh*

    By Blogger Ilona, at 2/24/2007 3:58 PM  

  • Your mitten looks great! I still need to finish mine (maybe tomorrow), but it was such a pleasure to share that class with you and get to know you better. Next you have to blog about the Frick wheel!

    By Blogger Cindy/Snid, at 2/24/2007 9:50 PM  

  • I also bought a bunch of hemp yarn at Stitches West! I also got a grocery bag pattern and fingerless glove pattern for em!

    Can't wait to see your finished products!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/26/2007 12:37 AM  

  • Thanks for your trip report! I feel like I went to Stitches vicariously.

    By Blogger Kim, at 2/26/2007 4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home