Knit Flix

Friday, March 16, 2007

What did you say?

Update: Since this post, I tightened up the nuts and screws on the Fricke and it's much quieter. I really like this wheel, its versatility, and the yarn that I've made with it. Link to all posts about the Fricke.

-------------------------------------------------

I've been so busy at work it's been difficult to blog all the topics I want to blog about. Here's a post I wanted to write almost a week ago.

Spinnity & Kristi hosted a March spin-in and I was happy to attend with my new-to-me Fricke. Cookie, Jeni, Margit (the Fiber Fiend!), Nathania, Aija, Lori, & Hannah were all there enjoying the music, food, and company.

Margit brought some Mars Superwash roving for Aija so now Nathania, Aija, and I are part of the Mars Colony.

Fiber Fiend! Superwash Merino Roving .
I can't wait to see what theirs looks like. Here's Aija's so far. Very nice.

I'm really enjoying the spin-ins. Being a new spinner, it's great to see what other people are spinning, talk about plying and color, and marvel at the technique and near-perfect singles all around. Spinning with others also motivates me to spin and think about my next fiber & project. Knitting groups made a similar impression on me way back when.

But.

My humble wheel looked so plain when compared to the pretty wheels in the room... but plain isn't so bad. I can deal with plain because it makes such pretty yarn. We talked about possibilities for embellishing the Fricke--I thought about stenciling, but someone mentioned a black & white spiral design. You know, that design that brings to mind a hypnotist? I wouldn't see it since I sit behind the wheel, but I'm sure no one would want to face me. I'd have to spin facing a corner. A spinner's time-out.

No hypnotic design for the wheel, but I definitely need some new bobbins. Fricke made much more noise than the other wheels. Grace warned me before I bought it. Normally I like the sound it makes--it has a certain rhythm that I find soothing. But when you're in a room of people who would like to talk to each other or listen to music, it can be distracting. It got worse when I started plying because the bobbin I used was worn in the center so it rattled. At one point when I stopped it seemed eerily quiet in the room. That was when I realized just how much noise I was making. Even with new bobbins, I should ply at home.

Don't get me wrong. I think the Fricke is a great wheel and a new one probably won't make the noise mine does with worn bobbins. I like my wheel a lot, and I love what it can do.


Note to self: Next time, take the camera out of the bag and take at least one photo at the spin-in. Thankfully Spinnity did reach for her camera and snapped these photos.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home