Knit Flix

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Thumb surgery

Not me, my Hooray for Urban Broads mitts. I was surprised how important feeling with the tip of my thumb was, especially when I was picking up or holding something. Today was surgery day.

The red DPN's are where the thumb bind off will be. The other DPN's are 3 rounds above.

Preparing for the cut

Snip a stitch 2 rounds above the red DPN's and remove the thumb cap.

Cutting and and unravelling

Rip to the DPNs and bind off in 1x1 rib.

Ready to cast off

The thumb is 22 sts around. I picked up 12 sts at the back of the thumb where the cap will be attached.

Picking up sts

Using extra yarn (yup, I found a few yards in my stash) knit the thumb cap down until it almost reaches the base of the thumb.

Thumb cap

Attach the thumb cap to the picked up sts using a 3 needle bind off, then bind off the remaining live sts in a 1x1 rib. Weave in ends.


Thumb exposed


Thumb covered

Now I need to do the right hand.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home