Knit Flix

Monday, June 02, 2008

Spinning, fiber, and friends

Saturday morning I went to Spinning at the Winery to exchange a couple of Lendrum parts at Carolina Homespun, and I thought it would be a good opportunity to pick up some fiber. Well who thought it would be so chilly? Livermore can be hot, but yesterday it was cold and breezy and I wasn't dressed for it--why didn't I take a sweater? I got the parts I needed and looked around a bit, but when I couldn't feel the cashmere hank I was petting I decided to drive home. That's okay. There's no shortage of fiber in my stash. (Sorry Meghan, no pictures.)

The afternoon was monthly spin-in at Spinnity's. I missed the last couple of get-togethers so I was really happy to go to this one especially since I had the new DT. I grabbed the Optim that Spinnity gave me and had a fun afternoon spinning with friends.

"Take this and run!" was heard shortly before this picture was taken. We had a good laugh (I love the expression on Lisa's face) and Seltsame captured the moment.

Plying


Rosie and Amy

Spinnity brought out some handspun and everyone was after the purple hanks.

Emy claiming the purple handspun

Notice Amy's hand on the right--clearly Spinnity's keeping the yarn.

I don't think so

Rosie's hand-crafted wheel made an appearance. It's a unique piece and Lori guessed it was from the 60's because flat head screws were used. That's a leather drive band and the biggest bobbin I've ever seen.

Hand crafted wheel

Lisa was the latest knitter to drink the kool-aid. I helped her out in the beginning but in hindsight I don't think I did her justice. I was having a hard time finding the right words... thankfully Lisa was able to get the gist of what I was trying to say. She caught on quickly and Spinnity helped her ply her first handspun.

Lisa's first handspun

Nice job Lisa!

Lisa's first handspun

I finished my Optim singles and Navajo plied yesterday--364 yds of 3 ply softness. Optim is super-stretched Merino--it has an extra long staple and feels like the crimp is completely stretched out. Sandi thinks the resulting fabric will be drapey without much memory and suggested that I make a cowl so I can wear it close to my neck--I think that's a great idea.

Optim handspun

After spinning, we went to Senzala for Brazilian food and live jazz with the Penguin Jazz Quartet. It was a lovely Saturday.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Looks like a great time! Keep passing round the Kool-aid! You all are giving "spinsters" a new and lively name. Have found knitters here, but alas- no spinners...yet.

    By Blogger Cindy/Snid, at 6/02/2008 10:06 PM  

  • I'm gonna surprise you people one day and just show up with some fiber and a spindle or two. ;)

    By Blogger Emy, at 6/03/2008 12:21 PM  

  • what a beautiful way to spend a day! :)

    By Blogger itsjustmeghan, at 6/04/2008 5:45 AM  

  • Attractive theme used. This picture of a weaving machine looks really pretty.This machine looks out to be really expensive.I can only dream about this kind of weaving machine .

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/17/2008 2:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home