Knit Flix

Friday, December 12, 2008

HKF

It's Hand Knit Friday! What hand knits do you have on today?

I'm wearing

Petroglyph Socks
Project details on Ravelry


The stitch pattern for these socks was inspired by rocks, shale, light and shade--fitting since the colorway is "Petroglyph". Here's the original post about these socks.

The stitch pattern is governed by color and the rules are simple:

  • When the current stitch is a light color and the working yarn is a light color, purl the stitch.
  • Any other combination, knit the stitch.
What this does is make the light colors pop out of fabric and the dark colors recede as if in the shade.

A similar technique is used in the recently released pattern, Topographie. It's pretty cool that Alex had a different 3D inspiration, topographical maps.

What I like about this technique is that the rules are simple and the results are governed by the color of the yarn. It's a departure from most projects where a pattern persists regardless of the characteristics of the yarn.

Click on the photo for a closer look.


I was so flattered when Lisa Souza commented on the finished socks,
Wowza, this is so creative. I love how you let the color speak to you. Thank you.

Actually, I see it as a collaboration--it was the yarn name and color that inspired me to do something completely different. Thanks again Lisa!

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

  • That is so cool! I may have to try that myself. And I have a thing for petroglyphs anyway - we saw a ton in Hawaii in April and some beautiful ones in the desert outside of Vegas a couple of years ago.

    By Blogger (formerly) no-blog-rachel, at 12/12/2008 10:01 AM  

  • Oh, great socks. What a fun way to knit when you let the yarn decide how you knit... wow!

    By Blogger Tonje, at 12/12/2008 11:24 AM  

  • I love this colorway and your inspired use of the colors to dictate pattern. I'm considering using this petroglyph/topographie approach with "127 Print", which has longish runs of contrast color set rather sparsely in the main color. Maybe a hat for my brother in Illinois...

    By Blogger spinnity, at 12/13/2008 9:28 PM  

  • The socks look great & the stitch pattern is interesting. I have to try that.

    By Blogger Ann, at 12/16/2008 2:41 PM  

  • You are IT.... http://twistedstitches71.blogspot.com/2008/12/i-am-it-now.html

    By Blogger Lisa, at 12/17/2008 11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home