Knit Flix

Monday, March 19, 2007

2007-05: Petroglyph socks


Yarn: Lisa Souza Sock! Merino, Color = Petroglyph, 2-5/8 oz
Needles: 2.5 mm
Pattern: My own. Toe-up with short row toe and eye of partridge heel, tubular cast-off; both socks worked at the same time.

I thought I purchased this yarn last year at Stitches West, but I was mistaken. I bought Lisa Souza sock yarn in Mahogany & Mardi Gras at Stitches West 2006. Petroglyph was purchased at TKGA last year.

It's incredible how much yardage you get in a hank of Lisa Souza Sock! Merino. The put up is 4 oz/560 yds. I only used 2-5/8 oz for these socks, so I have about 192 yds left over. That's what I call yardage.

The colorway is wonderful and captures rock/cave colorings beautifully. So when I considered knitting with this yarn, I wanted to do something to compliment the colorway, not force a pattern on it.

I thought about rocks--stacked rocks, a rock wall, caves, etc.--and the different shading and textures one might see. Sunlight hits rocks that stand out, creating shadows in the recesses. To mimic that, I purled the light colors and knit the dark colors. The first try wasn't successful because if you purl into a dark stitch, the purl bumps will be dark on top and light on the bottom. With that realization, I refined the pattern to only purl when the yarn from the ball AND the stitch to be purled were light in color. Everything else was knit.

Click on the photo for a closer look.

I think it's unique design because what type of stitch you work is dictated by the color of the yarn. It's not deterministic because the definition of "light" is relative. Perhaps rules based design is a better description.

2 WIPs down, 3 to go!

Related posts:
Yarn purchase
Thinking of starting
1 of 5 WIPs

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • wowza, this is so creative. I love how you let the color speak to you. Thank you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/19/2007 7:14 PM  

  • How incredibly clever!

    By Blogger Freecia, at 3/19/2007 11:47 PM  

  • Very cool, Janice! You are really diving into the world of design when you start listening to your yarn that way. Awesome socks.

    By Blogger spinnity, at 3/20/2007 10:37 AM  

  • I saw the socks today and the pattern is very cool and unusual. Congrats! What's up next?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/20/2007 3:36 PM  

  • That's a cool idea for making the pattern up - enhancing its "natural" colors.

    By Blogger Kim, at 3/20/2007 5:07 PM  

  • Hey, they came out really great. I just love the colors!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/20/2007 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home