Knit Flix

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Shaping, and Denise

It's time to start shaping the armholes. I lengthened the back ~1 inch, and I've cast off the armhole shaping from the RS. I'll need to continue later tonight.

Sooooo... the Denise needle set arrived yesterday. I'm using them right now, but I don't love them--they're going to take some getting used to. I do like the interchangeability of the set (which of course is why I bought them)!

What I'm not thrilled about is not being able to move the yarn on the needles as quickly as I'm used to. However, the yarn for the VK cardigan was sticking to the straight needles as well, so it's probably not the best project with which to judge the Denises.

Hmmm... does that mean I need to start a new project?!

Another reason why I don't feel that I can move the stitches quickly is because they're getting hung up on the bends in the cables. One thing I've done is bag the straight/flexi approach, and knit back and forth on a circular. This has improved the situation quite a bit. Another thing to try is to soak the cable in hot water and smooth the bends out.

Finally, the needle tips have minor imperfections from the molding process that are noticeable when I knit. The Denise Needle web site suggests taking an emery board or very fine sandpaper and smoothing those out. Yet another thing to do tonight.

So, after a short period of time, the jury's still out. I really want these puppies to work for me! Maybe with a little bit of work and some time I'll get to the point where I'm as thrilled as the die-hard advocates of the needles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home