Knit Flix

Sunday, January 16, 2005

Wrong wrong wrong

The good news is that the Diamond-Seed Baby Jacket is half way to the armhole decreases.

The bad news is I finished about 30 rows before I discovered that I'm not exactly knitting the Diamond Seed stitch pattern.

The charted pattern repeats over 12 stitches, with one extra stitch at the end. Well, when I made a copy of the pattern to carry around in my project bag, the red border around the 12 st pattern repeat turned black, so I didn't see it. Instead, I'm repeating a 13 st pattern. And wouldn't you know it? The 13 st pattern fits exactly. No stitches left over, no partial motifs.

The result is the diamonds are one stitch wider than they should be. The good news is, it's not that noticeable. Take a look at the diamonds--there are 2 st at the top instead of one.


Honestly, you have to look hard to see it, right?

At SnB today, Emy agreed that it's not worth ripping out and fixing. Onward!

7 Comments:

  • Of course, you may also recall that I left a purl in a field of stockinette in my first BBBB, since I didn't then know how to drop stitches and pick them up vertically, and ripping out the 6 inches I'd knit past it was *definitely* not an option. So I'm not sure that my opinion about "is it okay to leave something not quite perfect?" is worth a lot. ;-)

    By Blogger Emy, at 1/16/2005 11:01 PM  

  • That Emy is a wise wise woman.

    By Blogger Ilona, at 1/16/2005 11:25 PM  

  • I didn't remember your lone purl st in the field of st st, but it wouldn't have made a difference. There was no way to fix what I did without ripping a gazillion stitches, so your advice was right on target, which is another way to say it was exactly what I needed/wanted to hear. Thanks for your help!

    By Blogger Bogie, at 1/17/2005 7:33 AM  

  • I had trouble seeing it, even after you explained the problem. I'm all for not ripping back unless absolutely neccessary. It looks great!
    -Jeni

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/17/2005 8:40 AM  

  • I prefer to see this as a unique variation that you chose not to rework. Of course, as the baby's fine motor control & utter boredom with the rest of the world develops, she'll start to focus on the details of this sweater & see this unique feature right away!
    --big sis

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/17/2005 9:31 AM  

  • Agree with big sis: repeat it often enough and you've got an intentional artistic choice. Bill says: once or twice is a mistake, but three times is Jazz.

    Looks great! Can't believe you reached the first button hole already. I haven't even cast on, mystery project being what it is!

    By Blogger spinnity, at 1/17/2005 1:55 PM  

  • As long as I'm consistent with the pattern on the sleeves, I don't think anyone will be the wiser--except all of you out there in blogland. Thanks for the support everyone.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 1/17/2005 2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home