Knit Flix

Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Jessica Knits, Scottsdale, AZ

Knitter's Review Forums are great. While in PHX last weekend, I did a search for LYS in AZ and read about Jessica Knits, a relatively new store in Scottsdale.

DSO and I drove out there on Sunday. He's not so much into yarn shopping, but we figured he'd find a place to hang out while I purused the store. It turns out that there wasn't much in the shopping center that sparked his interest. BUT, the yarn shop had a nice area with a comfy couch and chairs and a coffee table complete with non-knitting magazines like Sports Illustrated, New Yorker, Time, and others. Thanks Jessica, good move!

I asked her if she had any Koigu on hand, and she pointed me to the sock yarn section. Ooo, ooo, ooo, Lorna's Laces and Koigu cubbies in the same corner! Whatever is a girl to do? I was introduced to Koigu by Spinnity and her Baby Surprise Jacket, Bias Betty, and Charlotte's Web and I knew I had to experience Koigu for myself.

I latched on to these right away.

Lorna's Laces will have to wait.

From there, I browsed, petted, and rummaged through cubbies and other yarn displays. The entire time I was thinking, "What should I knit next?" You see, I'm one of these knitters who is happiest shopping for yarn with a project in mind. Not that that's a bad thing--it probably saved me some serious $$$.

Jessica Knits has a very nice selection of high quality yarn. Rowan, Debbie Bliss, Cascade, Manos, Fiesta, Art Yarns, Plymouth, Koigu, Lorna's Laces, Regia, and much, much more. It was a real treat to be able to experience some of these yarns that I had only read about.

As I kept grabbing more yarn and showing to DSO--"Isn't this Manos beautiful? And what about this Super Merino? Feel how soft it is."--I noticed that there were knitting magazines and books on the coffee table as well. Now we're talkin'!

I picked up the dreaded Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 2005 issue and got the yarn requirements for this pattern:


for which I picked Berroco Softwist.

According to the members of Knitter's Review Forums, Softwist may be prone to snagging and splitting. Won't this be fun?

On top to that, you must think I'm a glutton for punishment for considering another VK pattern. The truth is, I really like the designs in VK. C'est la vie.

So that was the extent of the initial shopping trip, but Jessica Knits will be a regular stop for me whenever I visit sunny AZ.

4 Comments:

  • Wait. You'd never experienced Koigu before? Seriously? DUDE.

    I've got a couple of skeins of KPPPM in my stash just so I can touch them and smile. It puts me in a happy place.

    By Blogger Emy, at 5/17/2005 8:57 PM  

  • That VK top is definitely on my list, too. I love the color you chose for it, and the Koigu colorway as well. Have fun!

    By Blogger goodkarma, at 5/17/2005 9:18 PM  

  • Nope, never personally experienced Koigu--until now. Yeeeeheeeee!

    By Blogger Bogie, at 5/17/2005 9:41 PM  

  • Oh, now I see what you mean about a keyhole join on the front of that top. Very Bohemian chic, you will be right in fashion!

    There is a sock pattern called Studio socks in the Summer Cast On using Koigu Kppm. I think Koigu socks look nice with a bit of lace. Maybe the test pattern you just finished would even look good in your new luscious red Koigu. Mmmmm.

    By Blogger spinnity, at 5/18/2005 2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home