Knit Flix

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Hoops

About getting stickers for my Prius to permit me to drive in the carpool lane, Spinnity asks, "So... were you mad about the requirement to have a FasTrak toll payment thinger?"

Yes and no.

I really don't mind having FasTrak. It's their way of collecting bridge tolls from a solo driver in the carpool lane. There was probably a better way of doing it, but that's okay, I'll pay the $40 to get a transponder.

I'm mad that they couldn't get the process and rules in place quickly. I'm mad that a reasonable person couldn't possibly send in a complete and correct application package soon after the program was announced.

Day #1:
The DMV's web site said that a FasTrak receipt was required with the Clean Air Vehicle sticker application. Not being a FasTrak subscriber, I went to their web site to see how to apply. There was no mention of the DMV sticker application process, but there was a phone number.

So I called the FasTrak folks and asked them about applying and what sort of receipt I needed. The guy hadn't heard of the Clean Air Vehicle sticker program, so he suggested applying on-line and sending in a screenshot of the confirmation. He also said that the transponders could be used in any car that was in their database. Sweet!

FasTrak application--done. $40--paid. Screenshot of confirmation--printed out. DMV application & fee--filled out and check written.

Day #2
Mailed the application to the DMV.

That night I find out there's a new process for Hybrid owners to get a FasTrak transponder. In fact, there's a completely different transponder for Hybrids, and they need a copy of your car registration to get one. When you receive a Hybrid transponder, you'll get a receipt which is "official proof" that must be sent in with the DMV application.

Oh, and by the way, the Hybrid transponder can only be used in the car it was issued for.

Day #3
Called FasTrak. All lines busy. Redial, redial, redial. In the queue for 20min. When I finally talked to someone live, she suggested bringing in my transponder and trading it in for a Hybrid one.

Bring in the transponder I don't have yet to the office in San Francisco during work hours. Uh huh.

I asked her about the application that I mailed to the DMV--she acknowledged that I didn't send in proof of FasTrak that was required. She suggested sending in another application to the DMV.

Like that's not going to screw things up at the DMV.

Where are we now? I'm waiting for my FasTrak package to arrive. There's a possiblity that it may be a Hybrid transponder--don't ask. Regardless, the application to the DMV is technically incomplete. Gee, I wonder how long it'll take for the DMV to get back to me?

I don't mind jumping through hoops as long as all the hoops are set up from the start.

Sorry for all the ranting and raving. Knitting content will resume soon--the tencel shawl is on the needles.

4 Comments:

  • Bureaucracy sucks!

    By Blogger Abigail, at 8/17/2005 12:38 PM  

  • And then there are the stickers you'll have to put on your car! Man, the Roadshow column has been totally filled with this topic for a week. I hope it's worth all the furor. See you on Sunday!

    By Blogger spinnity, at 8/19/2005 9:50 AM  

  • Well, if it's anything like a normal transponder, you're not paying $40 for the transponder, you pay nothing for the transponder and it's preloaded with $40.

    Kristi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/20/2005 9:17 AM  

  • Right--the $40 will be used for tolls. That's fine, but I rarely go over a bridge in this car. It would have been a better deal if they allowed the transponder to be used in other cars like the non-hybrid transponders. But, that's okay. It's like a deposit for the privilege to drive in the carpool lane. It'll definitely be worth it.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 8/20/2005 9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home