Knit Flix

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Technically challenged

First, the iPod. It worked just fine with my iBook a couple of weeks ago. I was able to see it on the desktop, see it in iTunes, transfer songs onto it, you name it. On Saturday it all changed. I plugged it into the iBook and it didn't appear on the desktop. I clicked on iTunes and the application wouldn't open.

Spinning beach ball of death.

No amount of cajoling, reseating cables, or rebooting changed the situation.

Okay fine. Set it aside and deal with it later.

Next, the work laptop. It won't connect to the internet. Will you look at that, the PCMCIA wireless adapter is dark--no lights, no sign of life. Hmmm. Reboot, reseat, control panel, device driver, connection profile. You name it, I did it, checked it, reinstalled it. No go.

I ended up sitting next to the AirPort hub connected via an Ethernet cable. Took the "less" right out of "wireless".

After talking with Jeni at SnB about the iPod, she suggested a couple of things to try to get the iBook to recognize it--resetting & restoring. All sound advice as it was exactly what the Apple Support pages suggested as well.

What's the status? Not good. Resetting was like rebooting the iPod. No change. Restoring is like initializing a hard drive. Wipes out everything. No problem, I can reload the music again.

The restore won't complete. The iPod has been transformed into a 40GB paperweight.

At this point I don't know if it's an issue with the iBook or the iPod. I have a couple more things to try at home before heading to the Apple Genius Bar to grovel for help.

4 Comments:

  • my ipod died in the first week i owned it, and they told me too bad. did i sign up for the lawsuit? you bet i did.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/16/2005 2:25 PM  

  • wow. if the software restore and all the rebooting didn't work. you should definitely take it to the genius bar. i'm interested in knowing what the problem is (sorry, it's my inner geek), so keep me updated. Good Luck!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/16/2005 5:33 PM  

  • Dang, woman! It's like the universe is saying: you don't need this techno-crap Come, enjoy some soothing knitting. While listening to, um... birdsong!

    By Blogger spinnity, at 8/16/2005 7:44 PM  

  • *sigh* all too many stories like this going around. My sympathies! Hope there's a happy ending eventually.

    By Blogger Bill Walker, at 8/26/2005 10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home