Knit Flix

Saturday, September 03, 2005

Be prepared

Katrina has reminded me that it's important to be prepared. Don't count on the local or federal government for help right away. (FEMA and the Feds?! Feh. Read this.)

Plan to be on your own for 3-5 days after a disaster hits.

Seeing the footage of the Gulf Coast residents is like looking in a crystal ball. Here in California, earthquakes are a fact of life. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when and how bad. But knowing that and being prepared are 2 different things. How many of us have an earthquake kit? For me, it's been one of those things that I know I should have, but never get around to making.

Loma Prieta, the Oakland/Berkeley Hills fire, the Tsunami, and Katrina all serve as reminders that I'm not prepared. So when am I going to overcome the denial and get moving?

Today.

10 gallons of water. Canned food+can opener. Peanut butter. Dried fruit. Chocolate. Tarps. Work gloves. Radio, flashlight, and batteries. Camping lantern with propane. Canteen. Mess kit. Nalgene bottle. Leatherman tool.

It's a start. There's plenty more that needs to be added--more food, a first aid kit, clothing, etc.--but I feel much better that the critical element, water, is there.

The Red Cross has more information on building your own disaster supply kit.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home