Knit Flix

Tuesday, August 23, 2005

XL XXL's

No sooner do I finish the Tahoe socks do I have another pair started. But isn't that just the way?


The yarn is Trekking XXL from my visit to Commuknity, and the pattern is Retro Rib from Interweave Knits Winter 2004, worked toe-up. These are for my DSO or his son--both wear size 15 shoes.

(Yes, I know, they don't match. Yes, I'm okay with it. Really. Believe it or not, I'm working one from the inside of the ball and one from the outside of the ball, so there's no way they could possibly be mistaken for matching socks.)

On Sunday night I went back to my notes for these socks to figure out how many stitches to cast on. After I finished the toes, I had a sinking feeling they were way too big. But when I held them up to the strip-ed socks, they were juuuuust right. Good, but scary. These are big socks. No news there, it's just that the reality hits me every time I pick them up. But it's all good. I know they'll be very much appreciated and well worn once they're done.

I'm also trying something new with these, I'm knitting 2 socks on 1 circular using the Magic Loop method. It's not by choice, but by necessity as my other AT 3mm needle is being used for the Ivy Leaf shawl.

Unfortunately the needle is only 32" long so it's a tight squeeze. But, I'm kind of liking this method so now I need to decide whether to buy a 40"+ needle, or a 24" needle (and revert to the 2s2c method), or just keep it on the 32" needle.

No rush. Besides, I really shouldn't step into another yarn store for a while.

1 Comments:

  • Love the sock talk! I had tried learning the Magic Loop about a year ago with no success. Then I learned 2s2c, after which the Loop came very naturally. I still like dpn as well, but I feel so free with the circs! I am designing cable sox on 2 circs right now. If you ever want to test socks for me again, they will probably not be dpn-style! Next, I learn toe-up. Yippee!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/24/2005 9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home