Hot Lava Cardigan
Yarn: Austermann Candy Color, Bumbleberry. 499yds.
Needles: Denise #10-1/2 & #15
Pattern: Blue Alvarez Designs Hot Lava Cardigan
Taking photos at night is tough! It's the lighting--or lack of lighting.
Today I found some time to go to Joann's and found this funky asymmetric mondo button for the cardi.
I didn't modify the pattern much--I just added a few rows here and there to adjust the fit.
Starting with the small size, I knit 10 rows for the cuff because I didn't want the cuffs to be down to my knuckles. But after working the cuff-to-elbow section, it didn't quite reach the elbow so I added 4 more rows of stst.
From the bicep to underarm, I added one more row.
I found that the back was going to be too wide if I knit 105 rows. So I narrowed it a bit by knitting 45 rows, then knitting rows 46-48 in double seed stitch at the center back, followed by another ~45 rows.
Because there were fewer rows knit for the back, there were fewer stitches to pick up and knit for the bolero. I followed the instructions and picked up every other stitch all the way around.
The back decreases were spaced as instructed for the Medium size.
The bust shaping started out as described in the pattern, but then I kept adding rows until the fronts almost met at the point where the button would be. I don't know how many additional rows that was, but it felt like another ~25-50 yds of yarn. That widened the collar and lengthened the back.
I started the border rounds in the center back and made a buttonhole on the right front.
A size 15 needle was used to bind off, as you need a lot of stretch in order for the sweater to fit correctly. You'll get the idea of how much the edge will need to stretch when you try it on.
Speaking of trying it on, I'd suggest transferring the live stitches to a lifeline before trying it on. Here's a tip
that describes how to do that quickly using Denise needles.Spinnity
suggested using short rows to reduce some of the bunching behind the neck, but I was pretty far along when we discussed it so I didn't try it. But it's a good idea and would also reduce the amount of yarn needed.