Knit Flix

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Spindles, wheels, and needles

A gathering of spinners.

Spinnity & Jeni,


Grace & Kristi,


Margit,


Abigail (showing off the fruits of her first adventure in spinning, silk hankies),


and Bill, Cookie, and me (not shown), the non-spinners.

Co-hosts Spinnity & Kristi graciously granted me a get-out-of-spinning-free card, but instead of using it I bought this Purlescence.

Oatmeal Blue Faced Leicester

A potential fiber obsession in the making?

Spinnity, Kristi, and Jeni spent quite a while getting me going, first on a spindle then on Spinnity's wheel. Patience, patience. Not me that is, but Spinnity, Kristi, and Jeni. There were moments when all went well and I felt like I had the hang of it--the fiber was moving effortlessly and winding beautifuly onto the spindle. Then I'd think about it too much and boom--thin thin thinner, not enough twist, break.

After my cup was overflowing with the spinning experience, Spinnity was kind enough to ply the yarn.

My first yarn! Granted, I don't look like there's an exclamation point in me.

But today I look at this little hank of yarn

and think that I need to buy a spindle. Did I mention that I have a project picked out for this yarn? Twined Mitts. They'll be lovely.

Thanks everyone, seeing you all spinning such magnificent fiber was amazing. I had a good time and learned a lot.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • Ooo! Spindle! Awesome! I'm glad you enjoyed it ...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/07/2007 7:22 PM  

  • Oh, that's awesome. I didn't know how you were feeling about it toward the end. You looked like you could go either way. I'm glad you enjoyed it and are already planning a knitting project for your BFL. It was fun yesterday. I hope you come to the next one :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/07/2007 8:27 PM  

  • Ah, you have been swayed! You didn't sound like you were yesterday. There's something about the idea of making your own yarn though, it's pretty enticing, isn't it? :)

    By Blogger Abigail, at 1/07/2007 8:56 PM  

  • Wow, cool! I wasn't sure you were going to take the plunge. I wasn't sure *I* was going to take the plunge back into spinning -- but I am loving my blue singles. It's great to know other newby spinners, makes me feel encouraged to go on.

    By Blogger spinnity, at 1/08/2007 2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home