Knit Flix

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

2007-07: Burned Macaroni Scarf

Don't me ask why--why this scarf,

Burned Macaroni Scarf .

why this colorway.

Burned Macaroni Scarf close-up .

Yarn: Universal Yarn Inc., Tango, Color = 582, 2 balls
Needles: US8/5mm
Pattern: From "How to knit with Online Linie 194 Solo" by CarlaK. Yarn & pattern purchased from Knit One, where CarlaK works.

What a unique project! Although the scarf isn't really "me" I felt compelled to make it after seeing it on Stephanie's blog. My knitting group at work has a knitalong for this project which started yesterday.

As is the norm, I started the project 3 times--once with 7 sts which I thought was too wide, once with 6 sts which I thought was too narrow, and then once again with 7 sts which magically seemed just right.

Once I familiarized myself with how to knit with this yarn, by piercing rather than wrapping, I adjusted the technique described in the pattern to make it more like how I knit. This made the knitting go much faster. As Stephanie described, I did the half turn at the beginning of every row to create the orange side & the brown side. I didn't finish the scarf in 2 hours like she did, but it only took a few hours and was finished in one evening.

I'm not really knitting along anymore am I? Sorry ladies, I couldn't stop until it was done.

And about the name. As the rows of ruffles were forming, we were searching for a name--the orange side looked like macaroni & cheese, the brown side looked like burned macaroni & cheese. Not the most complimentary of names, but it's descriptive don't you think?

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

  • I can't bring myself to finish mine because it's gotten warm, and I accidentally pulled the needle out of it! It's also taken me way more than 2 hours, maybe 4? Maybe even 5? I feel like there must be some faster way to do it (possibly with a crochet hook?) but I don't know what that is.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/23/2007 10:08 AM  

  • I love the name! That is the most bizarre yet compelling scarf I have ever seen.

    By Blogger theknitist, at 5/23/2007 10:42 AM  

  • That IS a good name! So, where are you going to wear it?! Seems like you might need a good occasion...

    By Blogger Cindy/Snid, at 5/23/2007 11:09 AM  

  • Wow! It also looks like hot coals-- the kind that (crazy) people walk on-- how they're all cooled off on top but glowing beneath.

    By Blogger Grace, at 5/23/2007 12:28 PM  

  • That is very cool looking. Somehow I can't imagine you wearing it though. :)

    I like Grace's description too, hot coals.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5/23/2007 10:22 PM  

  • It is very attractive and cool

    By Blogger handknit168, at 5/24/2007 1:40 AM  

  • Me likee! Me want one. Must possess it utterly.

    By Blogger spinnity, at 5/24/2007 4:49 PM  

  • This is awesome! It looks like a lava flow. I would love to see it on someone, though, to see how poofy it is.

    Mind you it's 88 degrees and humid here this weekend (Washington, DC) so I am sweating just looking at it.

    By Blogger Sarah at Advancing the Plot, at 5/26/2007 9:32 AM  

  • How did you bind it off? You and Stephanie inspired me to make some, but I'm at the end and I'm at a loss as to how to finish it.

    By Blogger Kim, at 8/06/2007 4:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home