Knit Flix

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Cords & Cables Cardigan and SNBA

After all the swatching and false starts, the Cords & Cables Cardigan is a go. I started the left front (again) while visiting with the Stash & Burn crowd at Nine Rubies.

As I described in an earlier post, I'm not able to get the row & sc gauge that the pattern calls for. After some deliberation, I decided to keep the row gauge and chain on fewer stitches making the center front measurement match the schematic. I'm sure there will be other adjustments along the way, but if I stay close to the schematic measurements, it should all work out, right? (fingers crossed)

So I chained on at Nine Rubies and got through a couple of rows before stopping. This project in its early stages reminds me of socks on 2 circulars--it's annoyingly floppy until you've got a couple of inches done, then it goes pretty quick. I wasn't in the mood for floppy or counting, so I continued later that evening.

Cords & Cables Cardigan in CPY Creme .

The left front is just beginning to take shape. Literally. The neck edge shaping is at the front of the photo. Take it from me, serious stash busting can be accomplished with crochet--and if you really want to use up yarn quickly, do an aran or dimensional crochet.

One more thing I discovered, all crochet hooks are not created equal. I purchased a set of Boye hooks for the project but had to buy one more hook in a size that didn't come in the set. They didn't have that size Boye in stock, so I bought a Susan Bates hook. Lo and behold, I'm able to do reverse sc faster and easier with the Susan Bates hook. Good thing I bought the Boye set, eh? With that, it was off to the craft store to buy another Susan Bates hook.

Boye on the left, Susan Bates on the right .

When I wasn't crocheting, I was working on the sock for the next SnB book currently referred to SNBA where A=Advanced. The paperwork is signed and the deadline for FO's and patterns is about 6 weeks away. The pattern for the medium size is finished and I'm adjusting the stitch motif and overall pattern for the larger size. More on that later.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Ah, personal preferences...I am not a fan of the Susan Bates hooks. That sharp throat it has going on drives me nuts for some reason.

    Plus, OMG on the book! That's awesome, dude! Deb's so cool.

    By Blogger Emy, at 5/22/2007 9:28 PM  

  • It looks lovely already!

    Congrats on the SnB book! I look forward to seeing what you're making. :)

    By Blogger Unknown, at 5/22/2007 10:46 PM  

  • I'm really impressed that those cables are crochet!

    By Blogger Baywood Yarns, at 5/22/2007 11:06 PM  

  • Ooooh SnB book entry! I'll be buying that, of course. would it be too weird to ask you sign your pattern when I get it?
    I am also looking to see a copy of the Vogue Anniversary compendium. Haven't seen the insides, yet.

    By Blogger Freecia, at 5/23/2007 10:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home