Knit Flix

Monday, April 16, 2007

Enhancing the stash

Jeni and I needed more bobbins for our spinning wheels, so we went to Carolina Homespun on Saturday. (Thanks again for driving Jeni, I really appreciate it.)

I was familiar with Carolina Homespun from seeing them at Stitches West, but had never been to their space in SF. Fortunately Jeni had so she knew to call first and let them know when we were planning on dropping by. I heard that they had a lot of fiberly goodness packed in a small space (and rumor has it, in other rooms as well), and that was definitely true. The space was packed floor to ceiling with fiber, wheels, spindles, yarn, dye, needles and many more fiber related items. Thankfully I wasn't able to easily get my hands on some of the fiber that caught my eye, otherwise I'd have come home with more. Of course Morgaine and her partner would have been more than happy to get the fiber down for me, but I didn't ask for their assistance. There was plenty to choose from within reach.

I didn't go crazy, but I did come home with a few things.

Yak / Merino Top 50/50 .

Yak/Merino is wonderfully soft. I can't tell if I'm sensitive to Yak because there's so much pollen in the air--I feel like I'm allergic to everything--but I'm hoping for the best.


Merino / Bamboo .

Yes, the Merino/Bamboo is as soft and luxurious as it looks.

I also bought an Ashland Precision Lazy Kate and 4 Fricke bobbins. Here's an interesting fact about the Fricke bobbins. Although they're same style as the Majacraft bobbins, the diameter of the center hole is larger so the bobbins would shake and shudder on a Majacraft wheel. But the bobbins do fit the Fricke E-Spinner (uh oh). To see one in action, view this episode of Let's Knit2gether.

While I'm talking about stash enhancement, here are 2 books that I recently purchased from Amazon.


Homespun Handknit: Caps, Socks, Mittens & Gloves

I was looking for a pattern for warm, windproof, not-thrummed mittens and Spinnity suggested Homespun Handknit for the Kennebunk Wooly Bear Mittens pattern. That pattern is definitely in the running. Among the many other designs in the book, there are patterns for two-end mittens and a hat--love that twined knitting--and a pattern for an angora hat that is so pretty, it would make a great gift. Too bad I can't knit with angora. This book is going to come in handy once I have more handspun yarn to knit with.


Knitting Nature: 39 Designs Inspired by Patterns in Nature

I like the idea of using nature as inspiration for design. I don't have any must-knit projects picked out yet, but I'm sure I will in the future.

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

  • Even if you don't use any of the patterns per se, that Gaughan book is amazing to just browse through. What a gorgeous book.

    By Blogger Emy, at 4/16/2007 12:11 PM  

  • It was my pleasure (driving). And if you end up being a little sensitive to the yak, my I offer my own fiber stash as a possibility for its new home?

    Love the Homespun book, there are some great patterns in there.

    By Blogger theknitist, at 4/16/2007 2:42 PM  

  • Oh yeah, with the Homespun, Handknit, you are kickin' it old school.

    The yak has me a bit freaked. Yak? Why yak?

    By Blogger spinnity, at 4/16/2007 3:56 PM  

  • Sounds like a great trip Janice. the bamboo merino is so shiny and lovely looking! Wow. I will be interested to hear how that spins up!

    By Blogger Cindy/Snid, at 4/17/2007 11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home