Knit Flix

Monday, March 26, 2007

2007-06: Mars Mission socks


Fiber: 4 oz Fiber Fiend! Superwash Merino roving, colorway = Mars
Yarn: 2 ply, fingering/sportweight + 40 yds Navajo plyed for cuff ribbing
Needles: 3.0 mm
Stitch pattern: Evelyn Clark's Retro Rib from Interweave Knits Winter 2004
Construction: Toe-up with short row toe; heel gusset & counter from Early Spring pattern; eye of partridge heel; tubular cast-off; both socks worked at the same time.

This is my first homespun sock yarn. Not wanting to over-complicate things, I divided the roving and spun singles from each half. The 2 singles were plyed together, creating a barber pole yarn that reminds me of Trekking XXL coloring.

The final 40 yds was Navajo plyed, only because it was on one bobbin and it looked like it was spun fairly fine. In retrospect, I should have wound the singles into a centerpull ball and made a 2 ply yarn. The tops of the cuffs are a bit firmer than the rest of the socks but they feel okay and I like contrast of the purity of the colors.

Recapping the mission.













Final 40 yds Navajo plyed.

Related posts:
Fiber purchase
First half done
Progress in pictures
Heels finished

Labels: , , , , , ,

20 Comments:

  • I LOVE your socks. Handspun socks are the best-As soon as I finished my first pair, I began spinning sock yarns left and right! You Rock!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/26/2007 6:19 PM  

  • Wow. That is some Mars Mission. Love the colorway. Great work.

    By Blogger Tabitha, at 3/26/2007 6:23 PM  

  • I love those colors--they look great together!

    By Blogger Marsha, at 3/26/2007 7:04 PM  

  • Congrats on the inaugural socks! Margit's roving is lovely, and your spinning and knitting really did it justice.

    By Blogger Sarah, at 3/26/2007 7:11 PM  

  • Fabulous! Absolutely Fabulous job of spinning and knitting.

    I've been trying to spin an even balanced yarn for socks for over a year now. I'm very impressed with what you've done!!!

    By Blogger CC, at 3/26/2007 7:16 PM  

  • Love, Love, Love the socks! Fantastic.

    By Blogger Lisa, at 3/26/2007 7:47 PM  

  • Fan-freaking-tastic!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/26/2007 8:21 PM  

  • They look great!

    By Blogger Abigail, at 3/26/2007 9:44 PM  

  • Gorgeous! I hope mine turn out as well. Congrats on a beautiful pair of socks and a fabulous spinning job.

    By Blogger PurlsBeyondPrice, at 3/26/2007 10:15 PM  

  • Dude, you are wrecking the curve. 10 weeks from very first spinning to finished socks, WITH Navajo plied cuffs? You, my dear, are amazing.

    By Blogger spinnity, at 3/26/2007 11:48 PM  

  • Wow!Awsome spinning and knitting job!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/27/2007 12:37 AM  

  • Beautiful - just amazing!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/27/2007 2:16 AM  

  • Congrats on knitting your first pair of socks from your own handspun. They look great!

    ~ Christina

    By Blogger Christina, at 3/27/2007 9:14 AM  

  • Simply amazing! Beautiful spinning and resulting socks. To do one better you'll have to start sheep sheering.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/27/2007 11:14 AM  

  • Your handspun socks are beautiuful! You did a fantastic job on them.

    By Blogger Kris B, at 3/27/2007 3:04 PM  

  • Yay yay yay! They are awesome. I'm so completely jealous.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/28/2007 8:50 AM  

  • They look AWESOME!! 100% Mission Success! (Sorry, I work in aerospace, I'm a big dork.) Can I steal some pics for my online gallery?

    By Blogger Margit Sage, at 3/28/2007 10:07 AM  

  • What an amazingly beautiful pair of socks - your handspun is absolutely awesome! Fantastic work!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/29/2007 1:08 AM  

  • Your socks look great. I would love to figure out how to make the colors match-up like that. How did you learn to do the center ball pull thing?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/30/2007 4:23 PM  

  • Janice, can't find your email
    have exciting but urgent short term cpy to discuss with you
    email me proflauraATfirststepinternetDOTcom

    dr laura "CPY sock guru"

    By Blogger Laura, at 2/09/2009 7:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home