Knit Flix

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Toe-may-toe, toe-mah-toe

The Sungolds are adding up:

Sungold tomatoes
Sungold tomatoes

While I was trimming yellowing leaves from the tomato plants, I saw this guy. I've never seen a praying mantis in the garden before. Between the mantis and the lizard who lives in the raised bed, the bad insect population should be kept in check (I hope).

Praying Mantis in the tomato plant
Praying Mantis in the tomato plant

I've saved the best for last. Here are some heirloom tomatoes from the garden and I'm happy to say that none of these have been punctured by the evil squirrel. (Now I've done it. Fuzz-face will be attacking the fruit with a vengeance for sure.) Get a load of that Purple Brandywine in the center. It looks so strange, like it grew in a spiral. I must remember to harvest seeds again so we can grow these varieties next year.

Heirloom tomatoes
Heirloom tomatoes

And they taste as good as they look. This recipe was a pin that Livin' La Needle Loca found. I substituted plenty of pesto for the basil.

Mozzarella Pesto Roasted Tomatoes
Mozzarella Pesto Roasted Tomatoes

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • Wow, a praying mantis!!
    We roasted tomatoes this week to make tomato soup. Mmm, summer! Thanks so much of sharing your tomato plants with us.

    By Blogger spinnity, at 8/01/2012 1:50 AM  

  • Roasted toe-mah-toes are so yummy. I grew cherry roma tomatos last year & had a great harvest. Made tomato sauce for pasta & I had a 6 month supply.

    By Blogger Ann, at 8/01/2012 4:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home