Knit Flix

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Dig the Hallowig

No sleeve knitting tonight, I had a date with Hallowig.



I went to Michael's yesterday to buy some day-glo acrylic. They had 2 different pinks, but they weren't quite neon enough to justify the scratchiness. And the more I carried them around, the more I knew that I really didn't want to knit with them.

So instead I bought Lion Brand Micro Spun. Turquoise. They had a Fuchsia color, but that was a bit too purple for me, so I thought I'd stay with the blue theme. Micro Spun will be much softer to wear, and will certainly be more pleasant to knit with, even with the splitting.

Tonight I spent a fair amount of time swatching and figuring. See, Hallowig is written for worsted weight and Micro Spun is a sport weight. Have you noticed that have a problem with following directions verbatim? But that's what makes knitting so much fun!

That translates to approximately 50% more stitches per inch. I'm not sure how that's going to work with the decreases at the top, but I'll worry about it when I get there. Since there are more rows per inch as well, I figure it'll all work out--somehow.

More stitches per inch, more rows per inch, smaller needles. I'm just a glutton for punishment.

Again, my flash has altered the color of the yarn. It's more turquoise/green than this.


Yarn: Lion Brand Micro Spun, Color = Turquoise
Needles: Denise US#5
Pattern: Hallowig
Knitty, Fall 2004

3 Comments:

  • Dig it! Missed you Sunday afternoon, so thanks for the Hallowig introduction. I think I have some black mohair in my garage that might make a decent Elvis wig... Possible mini-Wig-along.

    Say that 10 times fast.

    By Blogger spinnity, at 9/20/2004 2:16 AM  

  • ooh, i can't wait to see it. i meant to be there yesterday, but santa cruz was calling...

    -Jeni

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/20/2004 7:22 AM  

  • Mini-wig-along, mini-wig-along, mini-wig-along... oh forget it. I can't even type it 10 times fast, let alone say it!

    Sorry I missed you all on Sunday.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 9/20/2004 1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home