Knit Flix

Sunday, September 05, 2004

Isn't nature wonderful?

Today was the day for a drive to San Francisco for a visit to Golden Gate Park. My goal was the Conservatory of Flowers, a magnificent building which was badly damaged in a storm and closed in 1995. After painstaking renovation, the Conservatory re-opened in September 2003. It's really a beautiful building.



Even the grounds are wonderful. Here's a look from the top of the stairs looking down.



Do you see the person second from the right wearing the cap and facing the stairs? That's a guy selling ice cream from a push cart. And there's another one on the left side of the center lawn. Today was a warm day in San Francisco--the temperature readout on the car at times registered over 104 degrees. Mind you, the car readout is seldom accurate, but it gives you an idea of what it feels like.

Well, the Conservatory of Flowers is a big greenhouse with misters to increase the humidity. So, with a bit of hesitation, SO & I paid our admission fee and walked in.

Oh boy. It's very warm, maybe 15-20 degrees hotter than outside, and quite muggy. It immediately reminded me of Korea in the summer. Ugh. But the plants! Think of jungle greenery with those large, large, leaves. That's what dominated the main room. Plants with leaves as large as a toddler.

To each side, there were other rooms with different plants on display. Some were houseplants like begonias, ferns, and prayer plants, and some were exotics like orchids, but all were extremely healthy and happy in the heat and humidity. Unlike the visitors. I felt like I was melting.

The aquatic room was where I hit the wall. We walked in there, and I felt like I walked in a madman's sauna. I said, "Oooo, look at the lilies" and then turned right around and walked out of there.

I'm not painting a very good picture of the visit, am I? It was a bit of a challenge to take the time to appreciate the beauty of the flora while the thoughts went from, "Oh, it's not so hot", to "Hmmm, I think I'm going to have to get out of here real soon."

But it was definitely worth it. Wouldn't you agree?



And my favorite,

2 Comments:

  • Lovely, lovely. But...mmm, humidity. Yep, still don't miss it. ;) ~Emy

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/06/2004 12:31 AM  

  • OOOH SO PRETTY! Must add The Conservatory to my list of "things to visit when I come back as a tourist". Included on that list is the Winchester Mystery House, which I've never toured in my life. And I've lived within 15 minutes of the place for almost all my life. I'm just silly. But I love the pictures - great color and composition!

    By Blogger Ilona, at 9/06/2004 12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home