Knit Flix

Friday, November 25, 2005

Cool tool

The mystery has been solved. The chenille has been identified--content & yardage.

A friend of my sister is a weaver and a knitter and has a lot of experience with fiber. She helped us do a burn test on the yarn and determined it's a cotton/rayon blend. I defer to her expertise as I don't think I could identify the fiber content on my own.

The next question was, how many yards do I have? Short using a yarn meter, I wasn't sure how to figure that one out.

Cool tool to the rescue.

McMorran Yarn Balance available from Halcyon Yarn

To use it, you cut a length of yarn and let it hang freely in the groove as shown above. Trim the yarn until the arm balances. Measure the length of yarn in inches, and multiply by 100. That product is the number of yards in a pound of yarn.

For example, it took 17-1/2 inches of chenille to balance the arm.
17-1/2 x 100=1750.
There are approximately 1750 yards per pound of chenille.

Wow, that was easy! I didn't know such a device existed. What a handy tool.

More information about the McMorran Yarn Balance.

5 Comments:

  • Interestingly enough, I was just discussing the McMorran Yarn Balance recently with someone in the shop. Definitely a very cool toy.

    By Blogger Emy, at 11/25/2005 10:18 PM  

  • That is a nifty tool!

    Are you any closer to picking a project for the chenille?

    By Blogger Abigail, at 11/25/2005 11:02 PM  

  • What a great toy! Glad you finally got it all sorted out =)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/26/2005 6:16 AM  

  • interesting tool. I havent seen it before!

    By Blogger me myself and i, at 11/26/2005 7:43 AM  

  • Hi Abigail,
    I haven't picked a project yet but we kicked arounds some ideas on Thanksgiving. I have a few other projects lined up ahead of the chenille, so maybe with more time I'll find the right inspiration.

    By Blogger Bogie, at 11/26/2005 9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home