Knit Flix

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Threepenny progress

Even though this sweater has been uncooperative from day one, the Threepenny Pullover is coming along nicely. The back is almost finished.


The pattern is straightforward. That's not the problem. It's the yarn--a wool/cashmere blend yarn intended for weaving and machine knitting so it feels like string and it makes my hands tired.

It's also a little like knitting in the dark because I won't know the true size until after the first washing. I've made and washed 6 swatches and I still have a fair amount of uncertainty about the fit.

Here's swatch #6, a combination of the different stitch patterns:


And here it is after a Eucalan bath:

A much softer look and feel.

What I like most about this sweater is the use of stitch patterns and texture. Here's the back (not washed of course).


And here's the washed swatch so you can get an idea of what those stitch patterns will look like post-washing.

4 Comments:

  • It's amazing that it softens up so much. It looks great so far.

    By Blogger Abigail, at 11/12/2005 8:41 PM  

  • looks like it is coming along well! I agree about what a big change after washing!!

    By Blogger me myself and i, at 11/13/2005 7:13 AM  

  • Looks beautiful! I use weaving yarns for lace all the time and they do soften up considerably once washed, don't they?

    By Blogger Alison, at 11/13/2005 12:32 PM  

  • Wow, 6 swatches. You're dedicated! But I guess it beats knitting the sweater and having it not fit. The yarn does look much softer and nicer after washing. I'm interested to see and feel the final sweater post washing.

    ~ Christina

    By Blogger Christina, at 11/15/2005 9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home