Knit Flix

Monday, May 15, 2006

Satur-dye-day

When I signed up for Dye-o-rama, I wasn't sure what approach I'd take dyeing sock yarn for my secret pal. Kool-aid, Wilton's, acid-dyes, etc., there seemed to be plenty of options and instructions on the web.

But then Spinnity mentioned that our friend and fellow-dye-o-rama-participant was organizing studio time with Nancy Roberts in May. I shamelessly asked if I could participate (me too! me too!) and although space was extremely limited, I lucked out.

Nancy Roberts is the woman behind Machine Knitting To Dye For
and teaches classes on how to machine knit yarn and dye it specifically for unraveling and hand knitting. Neat idea, huh? She was at Stitches West & TKGA selling sock & hat kits as well as introducing patrons to her approach.

Not having had the benefit of taking one of Nancy's classes, I picked my friends' brains and knitted up a few "blanks" and took them to the studio for their big transformation.


Before dyeing. The tan sections are waste yarn which will be removed and discarded.


Dyeing.
Photo: Spinnity



Dying. A stiff breeze blew over a cup of dye onto the blank. I cried out and Nancy came running... she blotted the yarn with a solution which didn't look like it did much, but after over-dyeing and steaming you can't tell where the spill was. Thanks Nancy. Whew!
Photo: Spinnity



After dyeing.


3 pairs of socks in their just dyed form. After the spill, I dyed a provisional for my secret pal. Suspenders and a belt.


This one is for my secret pal.

Stay tuned, there's still more work to be done before shipping day.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

  • Super interesting!!

    By Blogger aija, at 5/16/2006 12:09 AM  

  • Love the purples and blues (of course)!

    By Blogger Emy, at 5/16/2006 10:02 AM  

  • Interesting!

    Saw your little pretty package for CTH at the shop. Woman, you don't do things by halves do you? The pictures are super super pretty. The charts are worthy of a Japanese pattern mag.

    I'm so lucky to be surrounded by talented knitters. What an inspiring group!

    By Blogger Freecia, at 5/16/2006 1:27 PM  

  • Love your artsy photo of blanks in a row! I've already started unraveling mine, so I missed my chance for a rogue's gallery of gyed blanks.

    Had a great time Saturday. Let's get knitting, so we can go back in the fall!

    By Blogger spinnity, at 5/16/2006 4:18 PM  

  • This really is intriguing! I'm looking forward to see how it'll turn out.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/16/2006 6:41 PM  

  • I'm intrigued by this dyeing method. When you take out the waste yarn how are the other sections connected?

    By Blogger Abigail, at 5/16/2006 8:24 PM  

  • Incredibly clever technique for dyeing yarns. Wow!

    By Blogger zippiknits...sometimes, at 5/17/2006 10:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home