Knit Flix

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Podcasts

Hello Podcasters. I'm a podcast listener with a request. Can you please add a track number to each episode? It would really help listeners like me who use that field to play the shows in chronological order on an MP3 player. Thanks much.

I've been listening to podcasts for a while, but since November I've stepped up my listening habits. Isn't it amazing how much content is out there? There are new podcasts popping up everywhere, on just about every topic.

Here's my current subscription list:

These podcasts are in the queue waiting to be heard.

The list of subscriptions grows slowly because once I find a new podcast that I like, I go back and listen to as many past shows that I can practically download. That can take me back a few months or over a year. There's one exception to that so far, the Daily Source Code. There have been so many shows--what do you expect from Adam Curry, AKA The Podfather--that I only went back 2 months.

Anyway, it's interesting to hear these shows from the very beginning. Usually the first show has the host talking about who they are, why they're podcasting, and what they hope to do. In subsequent shows, you can hear how their style develops, their show takes shape, and the podcast begins to take on a life of its own.

With that, my list of podcasts grows and/or shrinks every month or so. Very rarely am I able to say whether or not I like a podcast after listening to just one show because it takes a while to get familiar with the show not to mention the fact that many evolve over time.

Perhaps I'll add a list of my subscriptions to the sidebar like Abigail has on her blog.

7 Comments:

  • All my shows are numbered in both the file name and the blog entries :)

    podcast.pixiepurls.com or search for knitting on itunes.

    pixiepurls podcast :)

    By Blogger Pixiepurls, at 1/20/2007 5:45 PM  

  • Thanks, I just added pixiepurls to my queue. However, your shows don't have track numbers when I download them in iTunes. I'll have to add them manually. :-(

    By Blogger Bogie, at 1/20/2007 6:37 PM  

  • I was going to tell you what other ones I listen to, but I don't need to! :)

    My most recently discovery is how many podcasts NPR has. I am really enjoying those.

    By Blogger Abigail, at 1/20/2007 10:07 PM  

  • Thanks for the link, and for the note about doing track numbers.. I'll check for that the next time I'm saving an episode!

    I like your description of the evolution of podcasts.. I've certainly found the same thing with the shows I listen to, and I usually go back and start with Episode 1 to hear the full story and introduction.. and that's how I have planned mine! :) You know us so well... Can't wait to hear what you think of Christa Knits when you get a chance to listen to it!

    By Blogger Christa Giles, at 1/21/2007 12:41 AM  

  • Thanks for the links to podcasts. I'll check them out.

    By Blogger Kris B, at 1/21/2007 5:59 AM  

  • Thanks for reminding me -- I need to stop reading trashy celebrity magazines at the gym and start listening to podcasts, instead. Maybe I'll make that a belated New Year's resolution, along with "go to the gym more often."

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/21/2007 9:43 AM  

  • Like Abigail, I am soaking up a lot of NPR podcasts. My faves are:

    Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me
    This American Life
    NPR Shuffle

    http://www.npr.org/rss/podcast/podcast_directory.php?type=provider&value=1#podcast1

    By Blogger spinnity, at 1/23/2007 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home