Knit Flix

Thursday, July 05, 2007

Download an Audiobook for free

with no obligation to purchase anything. Really.

For a limited time you can get a free 2 week trial at Audible.com. (The link is from This Week in Tech.) The 2 week trial includes one credit... in most cases, 1 credit = 1 book. After the trial period you'll be charged $14.95/month and will receive 1 credit per month if you don't cancel your membership. Or, you can sign up for the special listed on their home page, $7.49 per month for the first 3 months.

You may wonder why I'm pushing Audible. I'm a happy customer, that's all. I signed up for the 2 week trial when Stephanie announced that her books Casts-off and Meditations were available in audio format. Funny thing is I didn't get either of her books, but they are on my wish list. Instead, I got the book that she recommended, Crocodile on the Sandbank: The Amelia Peabody Series, Book 1 by Elizabeth Peters, as read by Barbara Rosenblat. It's a great book to listen to while I'm driving, knitting, or spinning.

But Audible isn't the only game in town. Librivox provides free audiobooks from the public domain. You may have heard of it from Brenda Dayne's podcast, Cast-on. She recorded The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton for them and is working on some group projects. Brenda's smooth voice is perfect for this period piece.

5 Comments:

  • Thanks for the tip! I was just looking at audible.com's 3 month offer and wondering if I should spring for it.

    By Blogger Freecia, at 7/05/2007 11:05 AM  

  • I also thank you for the heads up -- I've been pondering audible.com.
    Also came over because your second post today at Yarn Harlot really did make me LOL! Well, it was more of a snigger OL.
    If it's insanity, we're all going there together...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/05/2007 1:52 PM  

  • I've been using audible for 3 years now and love it! Be careful with the Amelia Peabody books -- there are two different narrators and some of the books come in both abridged and unabridged format. Barbara Rosenblatt is my favorite narrator for those books (as well as many others at this point) and unabridged beats abridged hands down for this series. Enjoy them! You have hours of fun ahead.

    By Blogger Devorah, at 7/05/2007 4:21 PM  

  • I love the Amelia Peabody series (have been reading it for 2 decades--wow, now I feel old) so it was funny when YH provided that link.

    By Blogger Juls, at 7/07/2007 8:06 AM  

  • I love Audible also! I listen while commuting, knitting, etc...

    By Blogger Baywood Yarns, at 7/16/2007 6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home