Knit Flix

Monday, March 14, 2005

Gifts have been given

All the knitted objects for others are out the door and have been handed over, mailed, delivered, gifted, dispatched, relinquished, and sent. The best part of it all was the thank you's.

My girlfriend called as soon as she received the Clapotis in the mail. She was so touched to receive the scarf/shawl unexpectedly (eventhough her birthday was a couple of days away, we don't see much of each other let alone exchange birthday cards or gifts). I told her about the yarn and she oo'd about the wool/silk blend. I hope she gets a lot of joy out of the Clapotis.

The BBBB was gifted at a baby shower 2 weeks ago to a woman who works for me. She reached into the gift bag, pulled out the blankie, and said, "Oh, I know who this is from!" and looked right at me. I guess I'm getting a rep at work for giving away knitted objects. She liked the blanket a lot and was happy to hear that it was machine washable and dryable.

The DSBJ and booties were gifted at another baby shower at work last week. They were for another woman who works for me (surviving without either of them for 3 months is going to be tough). She read the card and I could tell she was anticipating knitted items, so I was happy not to let her down. She held up the sweater and there were oooo's around the room. Then she took out the booties and said to me, "He's not going to appreciate the things that I knit for him!"

You see, she just learned how to knit from another woman at work who I taught how to knit a few months ago.

I told her that of course her son will appreciate the things she knits for him. Afterall, I can remember all the sweaters that my mother knit for me.

Then there are the fingerless gloves that I knit for another woman in the group. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the weather warmed up right after I gave them to her, but that's okay. We'll have some cool weather before summer hits the Bay Area. But she really liked the pattern, the yarn, and the fit.

Wow. I've knit something for all of the women who work for me except one. I'm going to have to keep that in mind for the future.

Oh, and the first pair of fingerless gloves went to my SO's daughter for her birthday. She really likes them as well.

And there are a couple of other gifts that were given a while ago that I keep seeing or hearing about. When I talked to my mother on the phone the other day, she talked about the scarf and hat that I made for her and the Möbius scarf that I made for my father. They're getting a lot of wear on their daily walks.

Then there are the ASA socks that I made for my SO. He's been wearing them regularly, which I think is fantastic. He even showed them off at a dinner with his co-workers! *grin* If he likes how my Blueberry Waffle socks turn out, maybe I'll make some for him.

Last but not least there's the Shawlapalooza. It's not a gift per se, but me helping out a friend and her soon-to-be sister in-law who had a near impossible amount of knitting to do for the wedding. The wedding was 2 days ago and I got to see Spinnity at SnB yesterday. She brought her mother who finished the shawl for me by sewing in all the loose ends (I felt so guilty when her mother said, "Yes, it was a pain.") But they managed to get all the slippery ribbon ends woven in and secured for the ceremony. I even got a mention in the wedding program--I had a credit as a "Fairy Godknitter". How cool is that?

Gifts = given

4 Comments:

  • We were so grateful for your knitted contribution to our wedding festivities. Don't feel bad about Mom's comment - you may not be used to "straight talking" moms, but I can report that the end-weaving didn't take her very long, like 1 afternoon for both shawls, so it was no biggie. Compared to all the knitting you did when desparately ill... it was fussy but not a big deal.

    The big deal was the wraps and how gorgeous they looked and how much both ladies like them!

    By Blogger spinnity, at 3/15/2005 3:53 PM  

  • I only felt guilty because I KNEW I should have made those tails longer. I was happy to help, and I learned a lot about mohair and ribbon(!).

    By Blogger Bogie, at 3/15/2005 4:56 PM  

  • Wow, you have been so busy knitting gifts for other people. How generous! It's great that you now have time to knit for yourself. And the yarn you chose for your Clapotis is beautiful!

    ~ Christina

    By Blogger Christina, at 3/18/2005 11:17 AM  

  • Thanks Christina!

    By Blogger Bogie, at 3/18/2005 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home