Knit Flix

Monday, May 29, 2006

2006-09: Lite-Brite socks


Pattern: Crusoe from Knitty; Gusset, heel sole, and heel counter from Judy Gibson's You're Putting Me On socks
Yarn: Socks That Rock, Fire on the Mountain
Needles: 2.5mm Addi Turbo circulars
Techniques: 2s2c, toe-up, Turkish cast on, slipped st heel, tubular cast off

Remember Lite-Brite? That's what these socks remind me of. They're so colorful.

The pattern calls for casting on 44sts on 2.5mm needles using Koigu. Surprising. That would never fit my size 8 foot. The cuff on the Lite-Brites is 64sts around. Also, these were knit toe up so the cuffs could be as long as possible using one hank of yarn. For the cuff rib, I did *k1, ktbl, k1, p1* around and ended with a tubular cast off.

I like how the stranding pattern broke up the colors and created an unexpected spiral. STR is a nice sock yarn, but I'm going to need to wash these and knit another hank before I can say how much I like it. The colors are wonderful, but let's just say that right now I'm not as crazy about the yarn as others are. (Blaphemy, I know.) It knits up firmer than I expected. I also had some trouble with this hank, but to Blue Moon Fiber Arts' credit, they made things right in a hurry.

Are you in the mood to make things with light? Try this on-line version of Lite-Brite.

Related posts:
Who could resist?: yarn purchase
On with knitting
It's all cuff from here

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

  • I can't tell you how much I love this colorway. It makes me SO happy.

    (Now I just need to get some)

    By Blogger Emy, at 5/29/2006 7:17 PM  

  • Those socks look so happy! I can't imagine having a bad day while wearing those.

    By Blogger silverarrowknits, at 5/29/2006 8:14 PM  

  • Those socks look so FUN! :)

    By Blogger Abigail, at 5/29/2006 9:54 PM  

  • Oh man- lilte Bright! Now I totally have that song going through my head (lite-bright, making things with li-i-ight...) The socks are great. I am having struggles of my own with my socks at the moment. but a plan has been hatched. I just took the weekend off to go winetasting and bbq and such...

    By Blogger Cindy/Snid, at 5/29/2006 10:56 PM  

  • Lovely socks!! I like that pattern too...doing it in a slightly different colour myself...and am on sock #2. Enjoy!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/30/2006 4:42 AM  

  • Well done! I really love that colorway of STR.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5/30/2006 7:00 AM  

  • Awesome socks! I have seen other knitters use this yarn/color and it really looks fab! Nice job and the perfect pattern to show it off.

    By Blogger Larjmarj, at 6/01/2006 5:32 PM  

  • Those look awsome!! Great yarn/color choice for that pattern!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6/01/2006 6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home