Knit Flix

Thursday, December 15, 2005

FO 2005-26: Starburst Sweater Test Knitting

12/17/05: The photo was edited to match the yarn color better. The color shown is slightly deeper than the actual yarn color, but it's closer. --JK


Pattern: Starburst Sweater by Kristin
Yarn: 11 skeins Knit Picks Merino Style, Color = Iris
Needles: Denise #10 & #10dpns
Size: XL

I can't show you the finished object here as I agreed not to reveal the sweater on my blog. No biggie.

As I mentioned previously, I was keen on knitting this project because of the yarn, Knit Picks Merino Style.

The yarn was surprisingly soft. I was concerned that softness = pilling. I received one comment from someone who said there was minor pilling, but I don't have any first hand experience. The yarn was extremely easy to knit with, and it looks like a real bargain--if it can continue to look good with normal washing & wearing.

The ball band suggests knitting this yarn on US5's. How's that go again? A tighter fabric will not pill as easily as a looser knit fabric? I think that's right.

Anyway, I'm happy the project is complete and well before the deadline of Dec 31st. Although with the holidays, I was targeting completion by mid next week if possible. Also I think I provided some good feedback to Kristin which should help future knitters of this pattern.

I must say I've had mixed feelings with the few test knitting projects that I've done. My nature is to use a pattern as a guideline and to change things as I see fit. With test knitting I'm constrained to the pattern as it is written, so that's a little difficult and sometimes frustrating. But on the flip side, it's nice to know that I'm helping the designer out and ultimately any knitter who chooses to knit the pattern. Besides, with as much complaining that I've done about other patterns, it's feels good to contribute to a solution.

Now if only Vogue would hire me as a test knitter...

Related posts:
Testing... testing

Labels:

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home