Knit Flix

Wednesday, January 24, 2007

You don't want to see this

If you own an iPod, you never want to see this. (Click on the photo for a better look.)

Wouldn't you know it? Just after I blog about podcasts, the iPod is dead.

I was listening to TWiT and then all of a sudden, no audio. But wait, what's that sound? Hmmm, it sounds like a hard disk spinning up, then stopping, spinning up, stopping, over and over again.

There was no response to the click wheel or the select button, so I reset it by holding down Menu-Select until it rebooted. The Apple logo appeared (yea!) then the sound started again. About 30 seconds later, the dead iPod image appeared--aren't the x-ed out eyes a bit overkill? And what's with the URL? As if the support site is going to help me now. Why don't they just direct me to the Apple Store?

I will take it to an Apple store just in case one of the Geniuses can perform a miracle or perhaps take pity on me--again.

Let's see, the iPod before this only lasted 1 year and this one was put into service in August 2005, 1 year and 5 months ago.

I feel like not buying another, but of course I have a handy dandy car interface that will only work with an iPod. Rats.

8 Comments:

  • My first iPod did that spinning and then stopping thing. Actually, it did a spinning-CLUNK-stop noise. Someone dropped it.

    Sorry yours died!

    By Blogger Abigail, at 1/24/2007 9:06 PM  

  • I had no idea they were "disposable"! That really sucks!

    I wonder if there is any way I could get a copy of your free pattern for the Panda Cotton?
    I have the yarn (pics on my blog)and I've written to Sue at Crystal Palace yet the pattern STILL is not posted on their site! I would really love to use your pattern :)

    By Blogger Debi, at 1/24/2007 10:22 PM  

  • Oh dear...not good. Sad iPod. :(

    By Blogger Emy, at 1/25/2007 12:08 AM  

  • Try googling "hack into your ipod" and see if any of their tricks work first.

    By Blogger moirae, at 1/25/2007 5:10 AM  

  • I didn't realize they have such a short life span.

    By Blogger Kris B, at 1/25/2007 6:17 AM  

  • K jogged with his ipod and it died - luckily it was 11 months after purchase, and the geniuses replaced it for free. Hope they can fix it - that's just sad that something so expensive is so "delicate".

    By Blogger Ilona, at 1/25/2007 9:00 AM  

  • I highly recommend getting apple care if you get another ipod. It means that for $60 when you inevitably break your ipod (or it breaks itself) you can go get a new one. Of course, if you dropped it, you have to play stupid and act like you didn't :) My applecare replaced my ipod twice... Once for a HD issue and once for the battery.

    I hope this one makes a full recovery though!

    By Blogger karrie, at 1/25/2007 3:31 PM  

  • My 3 year old iPod did this recently, I tried everything and then I found this on Digg http://www.spillingcoffee.com/2006/07/13/how-to-fix-an-ipod-with-the-sad-ipod-icon/
    and I thought what the hell, may as well try it seeing as my ipod is dead anyway... it worked like a charm...
    :)!
    Hope that helps.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/11/2007 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home